chicks that are sick HELP IN NEED MORE INPUT. PLEASE READ

adorable

Songster
12 Years
Aug 7, 2007
near ottawa ontario
I have a few chicks that are 1 week old. The other day i had one that was sleeping by it self and sleeping alot and when it would stand it will hang its head down as if it was very week and it wings would droop down. It died a few days later. I just that it was smaller than the rest that something wasnt right inside. But now i notice a few other ones are doing the same. I dont want to loose any more. Any advise what is going on and what to do.

Last edited:
Oooh that would be bad.
Did they come from a hatchery? If so, the hatchery would need to know that.
What symptoms make you think it is paratyphoid?

no, they didnt. I hatched from eggs.I got the eggs shipped in. It is very common. THey are in quarintine..Someone else that knows a bit about this please step in. What antibiotic do i use. Or should I?

If it is in fact paratyphoid, Terramyacin is suggested to treat it-it says many strains are untreatable, though.
Please be careful, because apparently it can be transmitted to humans as well.
Good luck to you.

yes i read that. I wore gloves when i clean them today.I hope it is NOT what they said it was. But nobody is answering on here. I need more input. I have lots of other birds. I am very concerned.

well so far it is just the one chick. It is still the same nor worst nor better. The rest of them are ok so far. I put in the tetracycline. The instructions say for the whole pkg. I put in 2 teaspoon in a small water container. I am not sure if it is this paratyphoid..But all the symptons leads to it. I guess i will now more tomorrow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom