Chicks that die in shell

Oklahoma Lightning

Songster
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Twin Oaks
Was my humidity to low at one point?
I had two poults peep a little then die.
It one point my humidity drop to 30% my temp was 100
It a Sportmans

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss; it happens sometimes.
hugs.gif

Had they pipped yet? if they had pipped, how long had it been after they pipped before they died? Need more info please.
smile.png

At day 18, I up my humidity to 68-73 at least.....Had one yesterday that had a hard time getting out of the shell...the humidity was 65...

I like my humidity to stay close to 60 and over 60 the last few days.

I have tried the dry hatch method for the last several hatches and I think I like it better, the chicks still emerge wet with no trouble exiting the shell. I keep the humidity at 35-45 from day 1-18 then raise it only to 55 for the last three days, I seem to have less problems with quiters and don't tend to drown after the first PIP.
This has been working very well so far for me.

AL

In Florida and I keep my humidity at about 27 - 30% until the first pip. Then increase to 50-60% until all are hatched.

I know some folks do fine with humidity as high as you keep yours, but I've had way too many chicks drown. When you finally give up and crack the shell, fluid pours out of it.

Once I started dry hatching I've had great hatches.

I helped one out of shell and it lived but the shell was suck to it and the same way for the twice that dead. They all pepped just different amounts. I helped two, one had a crocked neck and layed on it's side. So,I helped the other one with in a few hours of it starting to peep and it's fine.
I think humidity was to low then to high at last?
I still got a 50% hatch rate on shipped turkey eggs.
I just need a lot more learning and reading.
They peeped right on time. So, temp wasn't a problem.

One that lived for two days but never set up peeped and I helped it out at 24 hrs,one dead in shell peeped and was dead at 24 hrs. The one I saved peeped I helped at 12 hours.

Lightening,

I just finished a hatch and had much of the same trouble you have had. The first hatched just fine but had one crooked neck in there. Had two that had pipped but were just stalling so I helped both out and much of the "membrane stuff was dry and stuck to them. Checked one unhatched egg and it held a dead fully developed chick.
I am no incubating guru but I am wondering with the change in weather we have experienced the past few days is affecting the hatches. The humidity has been very high up until the last three or four days and I found getting my humidity where I wanted it difficult. It kept falling below 60%. oklahoma weather can be a pain.

Ked,I agree with you, this Ok wheather like a ping pong ball, all over the place.
Set a new group of eggs last night so we just have to wait and see what happens.
Keeping humidity at 40 for 18 days then going to 68
Figure it out someday I hope

Back
Top Bottom