Chicks to the coop plus a flock move/split?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AWickedChicken, Apr 26, 2017.

1. AWickedChicken

AWickedChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2016
    Okay guys, I made a post like a month or so ago about introducing chicks to the flock and my thinking at the time was it was research because we weren't going to get more chicks for at least a year or two. Well a year or two came today apparently, my fiancé picked up two chicks from a coworker last night that had bought them for his snake but only wanted to feed his snake four so he had two left and my SO rescued them and brought them home. We've named them April Showers and May Flowers, they are sex link pullets as far as we know but we're not for sure. All we really know is that he bought them a couple weeks ago, their wings are just now starting to feather, and he said they are big brown egg layers, he didn't pay attention to what he was buying sadly so it's gonna be a waiting game. They are currently in a makeshift brooder and eating chick starter. Now we already have many chickens in the coop and we are moving. We were taking eight with us but one our eight recently passed away so now we will be taking three sexlink hens, one sexlink rooster, our Silkie hen, and our two banty hens. This will be a big change for them because not only is the coop they're moving to much bigger but we are leaving behind two RIR roosters, an RIR hen, the Silkie rooster, and four sexlink hens. Now we are adding the two chicks when they are old enough to our group at the new coop. How do you think we should do this? Should we introduce them when we do the move so there is not formed territory to fight over? Should we introduce them to one hen at a time? Our silkie hen goes broody constantly but everytime we try to leave her eggs that she's already sitting on our silkie rooster kicks her off the nest which is why she's going with us and he's not. Thankfully nobody is fighting or overly mating her anymore they just kick her off the nest and won't let her near it. Nor do they sit on the eggs so I'm wondering if it would be easier to introduce the chicks to her first and maybe she'll adopt them. What are your guys thoughts? Another idea was to chicken wire off part of the new coop so the chicks and hens are divided but can still see each other and get used to each other without getting harmed... looking for advice and please know I am limited with things I can do as we are currently renting the new house until we can buy it in July, we can't afford to buy a second coop or anything like that, and the chickens we are taking are lifers, including the rooster even though he's rude and bites all of us. I'm hoping without the competition of other roosters he'll calm down some but will he just take his attitude out on the chicks? Obviously they will be established into the pecking order wherever the older chickens feel they should be but he won't hurt the babies because they aren't his will he? And how old do you guys think the little pullets are?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  3. AWickedChicken

AWickedChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2016
    Thank you, I saw an idea on Pinterest that had a wall put up just as you come in the door with another wall cutting the first "room" in half. I think I'm gonna see if my SO will help me out that into the new coop so we can have a sort of meet and greet "chick room" or a quarantine if need be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by