Chicks under a broody worked great

sundancenbare

Songster
9 Years
Apr 6, 2012
Taylorsville Utah
I have 3 hens that are broody. One Silky was broody for almost a week before I was able to put some fertilized eggs under her. I have noticed the other two broody hens off nest and eating and drinking, The silky I never saw out and she refused food and water when I offered it to her on the nest. when I took her off nest she ignored food and water and ran back to eggs. I was shocked yesterday when I pulled her off nest. She was skin and bones. Very dehydrated. Our local feed store get their day old chicks on Fridays so off to the feed store I go. I bought a polish, silky, cochin and a mystery chick. was in with the cochins but had no furry feet. When it was late and very dark I pulled then hen nest and all out of coop and put into a dog crate in my kitchen. She didn't move. I put chick feeders and waters in the crate with her as it is a very large crate. I then pulled out the eggs and put chicks under her. The eggs I put under the other two broodies. The chicks happily setteled under hen. This morning there were 4 cute heads poking out at various places around her and she was clucking happily. The best news is when I pushed water and feeder toward her she ate. The chicks did not come out until she told them to. Really cute. This morning I put them dog crate and all out in a pen I built especially for moms and babies, The babies are coming in and out of the dog crate but the little silkie has a hurt leg and is staying under mom. I pull it out to make sure it gets food and water then put it back. Mom is reaching out of nest and eating drinking. This was a good outcome and I am pleased that I was able to get a few breeds from the feed store that I wanted.

I even pushed it and went to get 3 more chicks from a local breeder, chicks that I really want in my flock. A sicilian butter cup, a gold lace cochin and favorille

Back
Top Bottom