Chicks under a duck?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by collingwood, Oct 23, 2014.

1. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone I wanted to know if it was possible to put baby chicks under a broody duck because I'm going to buy some but I don't know if I can put them under the duck and also they have already hatched so I was thinking is it possible for the duck to look after them?

2. CharterChick

CharterChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    My only concern is she might try to lead them to water... but I don't know! I'm sure she'd be very upset that they don't swim! lol

3. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I was thinking the same! Lol!
    We had a broody black bantam when I was a kid after she hatched a bunch of her eggs my father put them with another hen and put a bunch of turkey eggs under her. That was some funny watching them giant turkey polts following that little hen around.
    I think it would be just fine to hatch them out with a duck, just dont let them go swimming.

4. collingwood

I made sure that all the water was shallow in their shed but I left the door open so my duck went swimming and the chick followed and drowned[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] these are all my emotions right now!

5. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    I'm so sorry about your chicken, Was it just the one or did all of them go in?

6. collingwood

I only had two and one was taken by a rat I think!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by