Chicks Vanished from the barn

chickeemama

Songster
9 Years
Feb 4, 2010
Iowa
I have a large "grow out" pen on the 2nd floor of my barn. There are 3 floors to this barn and it is about 75 years old, so air tight - not!
I had 25 chicks in this pen, constructed of steel garden wire and lined with chicken wire. The chicks were all about 3 - 4 weeks old. They have been out there for 2 wks or so with no problems. Then Sat. I went to feed them and found only 12 chicks, I did eventually find 2 of them in the barn scared but not harmed in any way. I installed a hook and eye on the door to make sure nothing could come and go. Next morning 2 more missing, a few hours later 1 more missing. Total of 14 chicks missing, not a trace of them, no feathers nothing! Went upstairs over the cage and found a couple small holes 2 in or so in diameter, closed them off with wood and screws. I also had a piece of chicken wire that was not completely attached to the ceiling, so installed a 2 x4 and secured it like fort knox! Last night .... no losses!
I am totally perplexed, the 2nd floor has 2 spring loaded doors, on has a 4 inch bottom piece on hinges for the cats. I have 2 cats, the night I lost the 11 both cats were in the house. I don't think it was a coon because I keep a bowl of cat food out there and it was not disturbed or ate. I also have 3 other large pens on the same floor with my breeding birds in....no problems.
We also have set a live trap...notta last night. I spend a lot of time out there and have never seen a rat, nor a possum. I live in northern Iowa, so I don't know if a snake, we really only have garter snakes and I don't see them either. We do have hay bales in the downstairs of the barn so honestly anything could live in them. No tell tale skunk smell! Just really don't know what I am after???
I have several more chicks in my basement that I need to move out there, but until I am sure, they are staying put.
ANY IDEAS???????

ANY IDEAS???????
Only one... And it entails simplicity to the max... A stronger, tighter (predator proof) enclosure.

Oh... My wife's family is from Oelwein, born and raised.
frow.gif

Last edited:
I have a large "grow out" pen on the 2nd floor of my barn. There are 3 floors to this barn and it is about 75 years old, so air tight - not!
I had 25 chicks in this pen, constructed of steel garden wire and lined with chicken wire. The chicks were all about 3 - 4 weeks old. They have been out there for 2 wks or so with no problems. Then Sat. I went to feed them and found only 12 chicks, I did eventually find 2 of them in the barn scared but not harmed in any way. I installed a hook and eye on the door to make sure nothing could come and go. Next morning 2 more missing, a few hours later 1 more missing. Total of 14 chicks missing, not a trace of them, no feathers nothing! Went upstairs over the cage and found a couple small holes 2 in or so in diameter, closed them off with wood and screws. I also had a piece of chicken wire that was not completely attached to the ceiling, so installed a 2 x4 and secured it like fort knox! Last night .... no losses!
I am totally perplexed, the 2nd floor has 2 spring loaded doors, on has a 4 inch bottom piece on hinges for the cats. I have 2 cats, the night I lost the 11 both cats were in the house. I don't think it was a coon because I keep a bowl of cat food out there and it was not disturbed or ate. I also have 3 other large pens on the same floor with my breeding birds in....no problems.
We also have set a live trap...notta last night. I spend a lot of time out there and have never seen a rat, nor a possum. I live in northern Iowa, so I don't know if a snake, we really only have garter snakes and I don't see them either. We do have hay bales in the downstairs of the barn so honestly anything could live in them. No tell tale skunk smell! Just really don't know what I am after???
I have several more chicks in my basement that I need to move out there, but until I am sure, they are staying put.
ANY IDEAS???????

Snake.

I had a 2 1/2 foot snake squeeze itself into my run through a 3/4 inch gap. Two inches is more than enough room to get in, swallow a chick, and squeeze back out.

Back
Top Bottom