Chick's vent has two red dots and is bleeding

JitterbugFarm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Seymour, TN
Hello, I recevied some bantam chicks in the mail Thursday and a couple of them have had pasty butt. I cleaned one of them this morning, and now there are two red dots on its vent, and if I dab it with a wet cottonball there's a little blood on the cottonball. What is it and what should I do? Can chickens get hemeroids?

Thanks!

its booty is wet because I just cleaned it again. It was starting to paste up again :( All i'm using to clean is a cottonball and warm water...

hollilynn

Songster
6 Years
Sep 16, 2013
She is probably bleeding due to the pasty butt. The other chicks may have been pecking her behind, as they are attracted to the blood. I believe there is some paste you can get the the farm supply store that will cover the area to prevent the others from pecking the chick. I can't remember the name, but have read about it on this forum. Sorry, for the limited help;( still new to this chicken thing!
I also think that while she is bleeding she needs to be separated from the rest of the chicks.

JitterbugFarm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Seymour, TN
good idea to seperate her...I hadn't thought of that! Thank you! Hopefully it will heal my morning...I feel so bad for the little thing :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom