Chicks vs. Full Grown Roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by OwlLover, Sep 25, 2011.

1. OwlLover

OwlLover Alaskan Wanderer

Aug 25, 2011
    So, in a few weeks, I plan to get a rooster [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm just wondering if I should get a full grown one or a chick. At our TSC, there's a BO roo with a Gingernut Ranger, but we also have a breeder that we're going to go visit in a few weeks. He has full growns and chicks of all sorts of breeds. Which roo should I choose? [​IMG]

2. Nitrostreak

Nitrostreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    Definitely go with a chick, I say! If you get him as a baby, you will be able to raise him to be a gentleman because you'll be able to stop any aggressive behavior AS SOON as it happens, whereas if you get a full grown roo, there's no way to know if he's already got some aggressive tendencies...

That said, I have both raised roosters and gotten full grown roos... No problem with any of them yet, but I've read some horror stories on here!

I personally favor my BCM rooster, even though he's still young. He's got a very calm disposition, is very kind to the girls, and has chased the other roos off when they get to fighting!

Plus, he's big, and he's going to be bigger! Good for protecting the flock, I think [​IMG]

3. OwlLover

Aug 25, 2011
    Thanks. What would make the best breed for a flock of brahmas, americaunas, faverolles, and polish (its going to be a new flock; they'll be kept out where we keep our horses since roos can't be kept in the city.)?

4. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    I'd say Brahma or EE--they'll be good for protection. I don't know about Faverolles, but Polish might not be able to see well enough due to the crest.

5. OwlLover

Aug 25, 2011
    Quote:?? Like the hen not being able to see the roo approach or something?

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I dissagree completely. A mature cock is preferred 100%. You can see what his temperment is, he will be past his teenage boy hormone stage and treat the ladies with respect, if you put him over chicks he will take care of them, if you put him over hens, he will be a gentleman, and he won`t wear out your hens backs like a cockeral. If you get a young rooster, you can`t tell about his temperment, he will be shunned and attacked by older hens and pullets, and he will attack chicks. Raised a few myself in 53 years and I can tell you that a mature cock is the way to go.

Until recently, I had a large pen into which I put all my juveniles, after they were weened. I always used a mature cock over them to police the little killers. The idea was that if anyone was gonna whup butt, it would be the old cock. Worked like a charm. Ya wanna see a beaten down wimp, put a young rooster in with an older hen. Ya wanna see terror, put some chicks in with a young rooster. Do whatcha think is best. This old man is tellin ya like it is........Pop

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

A full grown rooster is a known quantity.

Cockerels can have personality changes as they get older. Genetics has almost everything to do with this unless of course they were mistreated.

So............if you can get a breeder's full size roo who is a perfect gentleman and very respectful of you (offer him treats before you give them to the ladies and he will love you) you have a winner!

Nothing wrong with going the chick route instead!!! I have found out that you just have to wait until the roo grows up to see what he'll be like. Sell the mean ones and keep the nice ones!! Only breed the nice ones and in a few years you will have a nice flock.

I have found myself the most amazing little roosters- Nankins.

Sweet as pie and respectful to boot. I never have to watch my back. I buy mine from a local breeder and LOVE them. He says, "They're pretty tame." What an understatement!!! [​IMG]

Find a good line of chickens that aren't aggressive is my advice.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  8. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009

Oops. So sorry! I thought the OP was choosing a roo between an EE, a Brahma, a Faverolles, and a Polish. My apologies.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  9. OwlLover

Aug 25, 2011

Oops. So sorry! I thought the OP was choosing a roo between an EE, a Brahma, a Faverolles, and a Polish. My apologies.

It's alright. [​IMG]

10. OwlLover

Aug 25, 2011
    What would make the best breed of rooster? I know now that I'm going to get a full grown... I have a choice between a BO with a GR, a Polish, a Jersey Giant, and a random grey roo. I'll be going to the breeder in about a week to get one of Bigfoot's sisters... might have more opportunity then. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by