Chicks vs Started Pullets

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I agree with Judy that it all depends how they were originally raised and their personalities. It is possible to tame older birds with a little time and patients. Food is always the way to their hearts. Food and sitting out with them and chatting to them really gets them used to you being around. I have tamed older birds this way and it makes life so much easier if they need to be checked over. On the other hand chicks are so much fun to raise, they really do tame well. It's very rewarding raising chicks.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

I agree , also starting out with chicks you get a better feel of what chickens are like from the ground up. Both fowl and human have more time to adjust to each other. Welcome to the flock.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Generally, it's safer to get chicks since you can tame them yourself. There is no guarantee that the pullets will be friendly and at this age, it is hard to tame them. So I'd say go with chicks. Plus they are fluffy and super fun to cuddle with. Here is a link on taming them right from the start https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-tame-chickens-from-the-start

Best wishes!
smile.png

Awesome, and thank you so much for the warm welcome!!! We originally bought 4 started pullets, and had a lovely working flock going, until the neighbor's dog noticed we now have chickens and broke through his shock collar and killed 3 of my 4 precious birds. That was about 3 weeks ago and I still cry over it!!! Chickens take hold of your heart quick!!!
love.gif
So we bought another started pullet to keep Barbara company, while we raise 5 chicks up and can blend the flock. The chicks are awesome and not as much trouble as I thought they'd be. They tamed fast and are so wonderful and friendly. I was just curious if that was going to wane as they grow to be the age of the other two, or because we are their people they will be more affectionate.

Thank you so much for your replies and being such an awesome group to be a part of!!

I want to buy some Orpingtons but I DO NOT want any more roosters. I do want friendly hens though. can't find anything around here...any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom