Chicks wasting more than they eat!

Feed waste is kinda par for the course when you have chicks. I let them make the mess, at least it's only a problem while they're little.

Layer feed isn't appropriate for chicks. If you can find all flock or grower in mini pellet form, that might be an option, though I bet they'll still kick it around somewhat.
I did not mean switch to layer pellets now. I meant when you switch to the layer pellets at the appropriate time, then life will get easier. I never said put chicks on layer pellets.

Ok, so it would be really nice if people would read the whole thread and actually try and comprehend. I was saying that layer pellets (WHEN APPROPRIATE, of course; since I’ve had chickens for 4 years and am not an idiot) will make life easier and they won’t waste food forever.
read the WHOLE THREAD.

Chickens and chicks like to scratch at the ground to find food. They will scratch or knock feed out of the container so that it lands on the floor to eat. If they have plenty on the ground don't jump to filling the feeder right away, if you keep filling it, they will keep taking it out. They get a little better as they grow up but they still do this. Layer pellets should be fed when they are laying around 20-24 weeks depending if you have the early layers otherwise if you have a breed that lays later, I would wait to prevent health issues.
I do a hanging feeder in the brooder to help a little, I also don't overly fill with pine shavings so that they can scratch the feed up. It all depends on what you are using for a brooder, if it doesn't have a floor, the idea of a cookie sheet is brilliant!!

I can’t speak for others, but when I read the thread, it looked like people were replying to the OP’s comment about possibly switching to layer feed.

To the OP - yeah, what the others said, chicks scratch and spill feed everywhere! I have on occasion not filled their feeder right away (not for very long!) so they have to ‘forage’ for the kicked-out food. Gives them something to do and they scratch anyway.

I use treadle feeders... a lot less waste I find.
IMG_20200430_080517780~2.jpg
IMG_20200430_080616617~2.jpg

Chickens and chicks like to scratch at the ground to find food. They will scratch or knock feed out of the container so that it lands on the floor to eat. If they have plenty on the ground don't jump to filling the feeder right away, if you keep filling it, they will keep taking it out. They get a little better as they grow up but they still do this. Layer pellets should be fed when they are laying around 20-24 weeks depending if you have the early layers otherwise if you have a breed that lays later, I would wait to prevent health issues.
I do a hanging feeder in the brooder to help a little, I also don't overly fill with pine shavings so that they can scratch the feed up. It all depends on what you are using for a brooder, if it doesn't have a floor, the idea of a cookie sheet is brilliant!!
I never said switch to layer pellets.

Back
Top Bottom