Chick's Waterer is making a wet mess in the brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Willow's Meadow, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    How do you guys keep the brooder dry and keep the water staying in the waterer? I have the waterer on 2 bricks but today i realized that under the top layer of bedding the lower part was all wet. Should I keep the waterer on the bricks or not? How can I keep the bedding dry?

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Not sure what you mean, but I keep my water on a piece of wood or a brick, depending on the size of the chicks and it seems to work fine

3. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Maybe make your raised platform larger. I put mine on a 12x12 piece of wood then a brick. Like stair steps. The bedding NEEDS to be dry, so try a few different things until it works for your gals. Sometimes they tip it over...just keep checking.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I use a nipple waterer. NO sloppy mess, no poop or shavings in the water, it's always fresh and clean. Easy peasy!!

[​IMG]

The nipple(s) should be just above the chickens' heads, but if you have bantams and large fowl chicks in the brooder (or coop) like I do, you may have to split the difference. So the standard sized chicks have to duck a little. And they all learn to use them very quickly!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by