Chicks weak after traveling

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by luludaxia, Mar 26, 2017.

1. luludaxia

luludaxia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2016
    My hub delivered a dozen of chicks to a friend today. The trip is more than 4 hours, 3 on our side, 1 on hers. The chicks were 3 days to 2 weeks old, they were in a brooder heated with a bulb when traveled with my hub. He gave them water and food three times on the way when stopping. My friend didn't take a brooder with her, but she bought some bottles of hot water to keep them warm on the way. At home she put them in a brooder heated up with infrared bulb and gave them food and water. She said only the two oldest ones ate and drink a little. All others are just sleeping. The two smallest ones are very weak, they are soft and couldn't even stand. She's worrying about them. My hub said they were Okay when he took them out to her. He thinks they are just dizzy for traveling long distance in cars. I am worried too. I don't want any of my little chicks to die. Are these normal after long distance trip. What can she do about it?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    No, its not normal. Does this Lady know how to heat a brooder with that Hot light(why, why, why a 250 watt red bulb?)? If they were fine when she got them---something happened on her end probably. I sold some to a guy that called me the next evening to tell me they all had died---Oh he stopped by the club on a cold night and they were left in the car all night---no heat. I have only carried chicks 2 hours but they were fine also in a heated brooder in the truck. I have seen chicks that came across several States---in 2 days---they were fine. Her brooder is probably set-up wrong---to hot or to cold.

3. luludaxia

luludaxia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks! This is the first time she deals with chicks but she said she had done a lot of research work. She told me the she had a themometer in the brooder and it showed the temparature is 28 celcius and lower at the other end.
    Thanks! This is the first time she deals with chicks but she said she had done a lot of research work. She told me the she had a themometer in the brooder and it showed the temparature is 28 celcius and lower at the other end. She said the chicks are not huddling under the bulb so it doesn't seem to be cold for them.

4. barred2rock

barred2rock Chillin' With My Peeps

I have to agree that a four hour trip isn't that long, especially if in a proper brooder for 3 hours of it. Can you confirm that the chicks went straight into a (proper) brooder after your friends one hour drive? I also wonder if the age differences could be coming into play?

5. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    28 celsius to cold for 2/3 day old chicks a couple weeks would be ok. She needs to re-read and check her thermometer.

6. barred2rock

barred2rock Chillin' With My Peeps

This

This! New Baby chicks need to be kept at roughly 35C.

7. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    HTTP://www.nutridrench.com
    This emergency nutritional supplement does not need to be digested it combats travel stress, pasty butt , the runs, and weakness. Give each chick one drop by mouth only. For Needy chicks, repeat every 8 to 10 hours until perky.
    Put 1/2 teaspoon in a quart of water for the first week they are at your new home. It will help them get off to a strong start.
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by