Chicks went in the yard

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by psocks, May 16, 2009.

1. psocks

psocks New Egg

Jan 25, 2009
    Today i opened the door and let the 13 chicks out of the coop into the completed 20 x 27 yard. They LOVED it. Ran around and scratched around all afternoon! Now the twist. I installed a temporary ramp. They went up and down it all day....except when they needed to. A storm rolled in this evening. They were all still outside so I picked them up and put them in the coop...an hour later I went out and they were all outside again in the rain.....so when are chicks smart enough to go in and out of the coop at night. Any tricks. They are 6 weeks old.

Thanks,
    Pete

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We have 4 week olds that know to go to their coop at night but it is not until about 8pm. When a storm rolls in around here, if it is not dark, all our chickens will stay out and get all wet. they will go hide under something if it is really coming down but in a light rain they just wander as always. Chickens will only go to "roost" when it is dark enough for them. They may stragle in and out all day and sit on their roosts but it is not until bedtime that they will actually stay there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by