chicks were fed layer feed from week 2 or week 3

Bookworm chick

Songster
10 Years
May 27, 2009
Salem County, NJ
I told my niece yesterday that she should start checking for eggs in the next couple of weeks. I told her she could start feeding them layer feed after she got her first egg. She said she was already feeding them layer feed. I asked her for how long. She said since a couple of weeks after she got them. She got the chicks in April for her birthday from a local family-owned farm supply store. I read that the layer feed could seriously damage a baby chick's kidneys. I didn't say anything to her because I figured it was too late. If she gets more chicks in the future, I will certainly let her know. Are there any symptoms for kidney damage that would be showing up?

I don't know who is giving her advice on raising the chickens. She was told shortly after she got the chicks that they should have their beaks trimmed. When she mentioned this, I asked her if she was having problems with the chicks pecking each other or themselves. She said no. They'd also been housing three ducklings in with the chicks run. The ducks had made a mudhole out of the run with their splashing in the little "pools". I told her they should have their own pen since all that moisture wasn't healthy for the chicks. She did listen to me on that and got her dad to build them their own quarters.
he.gif

I dont think that is too good for them i honestly have no idea but who ever is telling thta gir abbout chickens needs to read chickes for dumbies that could be a late birthday present for her???
hmm.png

Chicks will likely be fine, they often do just fine in mixed flocks with laying hens on layer feed, also the roos do fine in general. Niether roos or chicks need the extra calcium in layer and yes it is a potential problem but most likely it will never show up as such. Chick feed is often about 1% calcium layer 3% or so.

Bigger issue in not having a full go of chick starter could be reduced tolerance or build-up against cocci but if they are outside and have been playing with ducks they likely have good natural exposure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom