Chicks with bald spots???

MissLavender

Songster
5 Years
Sep 21, 2018
Clarkdale, Arizona
What does this look like to you? These chicks are between 3 and 5 weeks old (staggered hatch between two broody hens). They are in an outside covered 25×15 run during the day and in a 4×4 brooder coop at night. They eat organic 18% chick crumble, plus a little handful of mealworms every couple of days. I am still relatively new to chickens (2 years in), so not quite sure what's happening here. There is no blood, and I haven't seen any of them picking at each other. About half of them look like this. I do see pin feathers coming in. Is something wrong or am I just being a hypervigilant Mom?

Attachments

• 20200711_173144.jpg
    20200711_173144.jpg
    613.5 KB · Views: 20
About half of them look like this. I do see pin feathers coming in.
I will venture to say a combination of slow growth caused by genetics first possibly coupled with what I would consider to be a low protein/amino acid diet.

I hate that they even sell 18% starter.. BUT it must be considered acceptable by law.

Most often when I see something similar to this.. no redness etc.. I do consider it genetic weakness.

4x4 brooder isn't very big for two broody's and two sets of chicks 3-5 weeks old... what breed are they and how many chicks have ya got in there total?

Are you moving them to a regular coop with other birds eventually since you describe this one as a brooder?

I will venture to say a combination of slow growth caused by genetics first possibly coupled with what I would consider to be a low protein/amino acid diet.

I hate that they even sell 18% starter.. BUT it must be considered acceptable by law.

Most often when I see something similar to this.. no redness etc.. I do consider it genetic weakness.

4x4 brooder isn't very big for two broody's and two sets of chicks 3-5 weeks old... what breed are they and how many chicks have ya got in there total?

Are you moving them to a regular coop with other birds eventually since you describe this one as a brooder?
They are only in the coop at night to sleep. The rest of the time they're out in a 375 square foot run. I have a few White Laced Red Cornish in with them, and their feathers look perfect. Also, looking again, I see where some feather quills have been chewed down to nubs. Now I'm thinking that the Cornishes are doing it. There are 35 chicks in total, because I wasn't counting on a 100% hatch rate. 😬

I should also add that, since I only have access to 18% chick starter where I live, I have been supplementing with Ultrakibble for chicks upon the recommendation of someone on this forum. It has 29% protein and all of the missing amino acids, vitamins and omegas.
I read somewhere that Cornishes have a tendency toward cannibalism, so I really am starting to think that they are the culprits. I have raised several other hatches from the same parent stock and have NEVER had this issue in my previous chicks.

There are 35 chicks in total, because I wasn't counting on a 100% hatch rate. 😬
I have a few White Laced Red Cornish in with them, and their feathers look perfect.
You mean same age, different source (and genetics) but included in the 35 chick count?

Do you have another coop, or what's your plan? That's too crowded even just for night time.. I know because I have done it too! :oops:

At 5 weeks old the mum should be thinking about teaching her young to roost and maybe booting them to curb so she can get back to business. Are both broody's raising both sets of chicks or are they real staggered and not sets at all? I know we all have different situation that can arise so I'm just trying to get a clear picture. No judgement, just a discussion. :)

I read somewhere that Cornishes have a tendency toward cannibalism,
Don't believe everything you read. What you're seeing isn't anywhere near cannibalism. And white laced red Cornish might not be the same as Cornish cross (beasts) or what have you. ANY chicken, I don't care what breed goes ballistic for the rich taste of blood. The make happy peeps which alerts their friends to join in the party. Most often I would describe it as an accident gone bad.. they won't just eat another chicken.

Since you aren't seeing any wounds or bleeding it could be over preening, as suggested by another poster feather picking to each other, boredom etc.. check after dark with a flash light for parasites running away on the broody hens to get your clearest picture of what's truly going on there and JUST be sure that isn't the issue, despite not seeing red angry skin.

The 18% starter you're getting probably does have the added amino acids and vitamins needed. I looked up the guaranteed analysis on the UK for chicks you are using.. I would skip it personally looks to me like despite having higher protein it may be lower in amino acids. and it's pricey, mixing your current feed with turkey or game bird starter crumble might give you more bang for your buck, which feed store are available to you?..
https://foragecakes.com/portfolio-items/farmers-helper-babycake-ultrakibble-for-chicks/

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min)……….. 29.64%
Lysine (min)……………………. 0.43%
Methionine (min)…………… ..0.32%
Crude Fat (min)……………… 10.67%
Crude Fiber (max)……………. 7.30%
Calcium (min)………………….. 1.35%
Calcium (max)………………….. 1.85%
Phosphorus (min)…………….. 0.54%

You mean same age, different source (and genetics) but included in the 35 chick count?

Do you have another coop, or what's your plan? That's too crowded even just for night time.. I know because I have done it too! :oops:

At 5 weeks old the mum should be thinking about teaching her young to roost and maybe booting them to curb so she can get back to business. Are both broody's raising both sets of chicks or are they real staggered and not sets at all? I know we all have different situation that can arise so I'm just trying to get a clear picture. No judgement, just a discussion. :)

Don't believe everything you read. What you're seeing isn't anywhere near cannibalism. And white laced red Cornish might not be the same as Cornish cross (beasts) or what have you. ANY chicken, I don't care what breed goes ballistic for the rich taste of blood. The make happy peeps which alerts their friends to join in the party. Most often I would describe it as an accident gone bad.. they won't just eat another chicken.

Since you aren't seeing any wounds or bleeding it could be over preening, as suggested by another poster feather picking to each other, boredom etc.. check after dark with a flash light for parasites running away on the broody hens to get your clearest picture of what's truly going on there and JUST be sure that isn't the issue, despite not seeing red angry skin.

The 18% starter you're getting probably does have the added amino acids and vitamins needed. I looked up the guaranteed analysis on the UK for chicks you are using.. I would skip it personally looks to me like despite having higher protein it may be lower in amino acids. and it's pricey, mixing your current feed with turkey or game bird starter crumble might give you more bang for your buck, which feed store are available to you?..
https://foragecakes.com/portfolio-items/farmers-helper-babycake-ultrakibble-for-chicks/

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min)……….. 29.64%
Lysine (min)……………………. 0.43%
Methionine (min)…………… ..0.32%
Crude Fat (min)……………… 10.67%
Crude Fiber (max)……………. 7.30%
Calcium (min)………………….. 1.35%
Calcium (max)………………….. 1.85%
Phosphorus (min)…………….. 0.54%
These two hens are sisters, and ALWAYS brood together. Their chicks hatched a week apart. The Cornish were hatched June 2nd, the EEs hatched June 7th, and some Hmongs a week after that. I put the Cornishes in with them after the EEs had hatched, and the Moms accepted them with no issues. They're Hmongs, and Hmong hens are excellent mothers. They usually raise their chicks until they're at least 8 weeks old. Each hen had 12-13 eggs under them and I ordered 10 Cornish chicks, thinking that, "Surely not ALL of the eggs will hatch!" WRONG!!! 100% hatch rate. Such a rookie mistake! 🙄 Many of these will be given to friends and family when the Moms are done raising them. They'll be moving into an 12 ft long, 4 ft wide, 6 ft tall coop in a 500 square ft run in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom