chicks with light

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickens12, Mar 22, 2013.

1. chickens12

chickens12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2012
    i have a light hooked up in my small pen to give them heat and its pretty bright and they all were up and running around when i plugged it in so do they think is light outside or will they go back to sleep?

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Many people, including myself, prefer a red 150-250 watt heat lamp (depending on what keeps an adequate temperature) so birds rest, and don't get preoccupied with destructive habits such as feather picking. There are even blue heat lamps that can be used.

3. Bellatrixed

Bellatrixed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    Chicks should have a heat lamp on 24/7 for the first few weeks of their life. They sleep through it. [​IMG]

4. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Chicks do better with red colored heat lights. They may not sleep or rest well at all with a white light - if that is what you have?

5. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I used a white 150 heat light for awhile on my chicks...it caused no issue they slept right on, and so far there have been absolutely no incidences of pecking at all...Now the 150 is on the ducks, as they seem to need less heat right now.

6. Bellatrixed

Jan 19, 2013
    I had red 250 watt bulbs at first, but they were too hot so I switched to 125 watt white bulbs (couldn't find reds in that wattage when I needed them). I haven't had any issues with pecking and they seem perfectly content to sleep. Red lights are useful, especially if there are issues with pecking, but I don't think they're a necessity.

7. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I feel like sometimes on forums people make things more complicated than they need to be

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've brooded many hundreds of chicks over the past five years.

I've used both white and red lights.

Chicks always do better with red lights at proper height without drafts.

I also ALWAYS raise my waterers a couple of inches.... just enough for them to be able to get at it.

9. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Just a FYI You can find red heat lamps in the reptile section of any pet store. I bought a 60 watt red reptile bulb at Meijers so, they probably have them at Walmart too.

10. Bellatrixed

Jan 19, 2013
    How do you define them doing "better" with the red lights, though? Don't get me wrong, I'm not discounting the value of red lights at all. I have used them in the past many times, but I've also used white lights many times and never noticed a difference. Since the OP was asking if they will stay awake with the lights on, that could apply to either red or white lights--neither will keep them awake. [​IMG]

I've had white lights going for 3 weeks and they sleep happily, seem content and have absolutely 0 pecking issues. Then again, they have lots of space since it's a big brooder, so maybe that plays a part?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by