Chicks with poo stuck to thier fuzz

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JustMandy, Mar 31, 2011.

1. JustMandy

JustMandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    Is that pastey butt? What causes it, what can I do for them. Two of my seven 5-7 day old Blue Splash Marans have poo stuck in their fuzz. It was not covering thier vent at all.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Use warm water to soak it and gently remove it.

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    and dab a little vaseline, then it won't get stuck on the bum..

4. magoochie

magoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    Grantsburg, WI
    if you dont have vaseline, you can use olive oil. I just dab it on with a Qtip

5. lady feathers

lady feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2010
    Sounds like pasty butt to me. Warm water over their butt, gently massage it till it break apart and leaves the vent clean a little bit on their butt can be normal as long as it isn't covering the vent. Also, at that age you should still be able to carefully trim some butt fuzz to help prevent poo from collecting and potentially blocking I did this with my silkies and a few dark cornish that were pasting up quite often.... everyones butt feathers are coming in just fine now at 4 weeks. Shipping stress can cause it, switching foods/ introducing new food, etc... the good news is that you usually only have to wash butts for a few days to around a week then they seems to adjust. Just remember to periodically check after it does clear up! If the vent isn't covered I don't remove it- don't want o over stress them by chasing them down and potentially chilling them while they dry. Isn't being a mommy chicken great?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by