?Chicks wont eat fermented food

Try just wet feed in Oatmeal consistency. Mine took to that right away.
I won't ferment till those obnoxious little squirts are outside lol

Make sure you feed dry as well
Well, I finally fermented another batch for 2 days, and they are starting to eat it now! I still have the dry food available for them, but I made a makeshift feeder with a cooler cup holder and a sawed off 6" pvc cap. The waste has minimalized since! How do you feed them the fermented food, as in, what do you feed them in?

20210420_154414.jpg

I reuse pie plates and other little disposable things for wet mash. Lots of little low sided things out of the recycling. Metal works better with frequent pecking & washing. Even things like tuna-sized tin cans and take-out containers can be fair game.

BTW, totally laughed at the mental image of them thinking fermented food was an awesome foot bath. There is always one of them that thinks standing in the middle of the food is the only place to be

You might consider something plastic for their ferment. My metal containers rusted after continual use. The only thing that hasn't rusted is the gutter piece I have attached in my chicken tractor. But the not-so-little squirts stand in it so I'm trying to figure out a work around. 🙄🙂

You might consider something plastic for their ferment. My metal containers rusted after continual use. The only thing that hasn't rusted is the gutter piece I have attached in my chicken tractor. But the not-so-little squirts stand in it so I'm trying to figure out a work around. 🙄🙂
For the fermentation, I use a old m&ms container. For feeding them I'm also using the original feeder that I used when they were smaller. This morning I put the quart top on it. They are still hesitant, but have been munching on it!

Back
Top Bottom