Chicks won't go in at night

Twisted J Homestead

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2023
Hello! We have 12 chicks about 8 weeks old. At 6 weeks old we put them in the coop and kept them in for a week without letting them out. We let them out but they haven't gotten the hang of going in before dark. We had another flock that we lost to stray dogs 😔 that only took like a few days to get it. We've tried having a red light inside and treats. We block off the open area under the coop like we did for the other flock. Any suggestions?

1000003764.jpg

This always happens when I move my chicks from the brooder in the coop to my Grow-Out Coop/Run. I generally move them at 5 weeks and leave them in the coop section for a week or more. When I open the pop door to let them out they may all be on the run floor within 15 minutes or they may take over a day to get the courage up to risk going out. Each group is different and I usually have around 20 chicks per group.

At first they all cluster under the pop door to go to sleep. I wait until it is dark so they are easier to catch and toss them in the coop section, then lock the door. Usually within a week they are all going to bed on their own when it gets dark. Usually within a couple of days a few start going in on their own and within a week they all are.

But usually does not mean always. One time I went down there at their bedtime to do something else in the area while waiting for dark. They were already gathered under the pop door. They saw me and started going in on their own. I did not have to do anything. The next night they all went in on their own without me being there. After that I made a point to be down there at bedtime for all other groups but that never worked again.

A couple of times I had to keep putting them in for three weeks before the last few caught on. As I said, each group is different.

Back
Top Bottom