Chicks

Egglady2011

Hatching
Mar 24, 2020
I am not new to raising chickens. I normally just go to the feed store and buy some. But we moved and had to give all our girls away. We are now settled into our new home and want to start a new flock. Our minimum is 8 for right now. I kind of wanted to get specific breeds this time. We have our favorite ones but I wanted to venture out and see what else is out there. We live in Wisconsin so it gets very very cold. Before we lived in Michigan and it also got very cold there but Wisconsin is a lot colder. I want to make sure to get breeds that are good in very cold weather. And I want to know where some of yall buy your chicks online. I have looked at a few pages but am afraid of getting sick birds and what not. Thank you for your help.

What is wrong with going to feed store again?? Many of the places have a good assortment of Chick they are selling. Another good thing about feed store in your area, is,,,, they would carry the breeds that would do well in your particular weather climate.
Another thing to consider is your amount of chicks. Many hatcheries have minimums that are quite large, at this time of year. Other hatcheries that offer smaller numbers, have pricey chicks, and pricey delivery charges. It is understandable, that no one is willing to make cheap deliveries, so it is a factor of live chicks delivered to your personal home.
Have you considered getting chicks from keepers in your area??
I can write a long list of cold hardy chickens, but you can find that same list on line.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

I loved the Rhode Island Whites I got from Hoovers hatchery, they are very docile. one thing i did notice is they seem to hatch about 50/50 on pullet and cockerel though. They have wintered over fine no extra heat or light even with Idaho getting so many -30 temps during the winter, they would be out getting exercise and trying to forage.

I love the Ameracaunas best so they won out when had to choose cause could only have 1 rooster.

I have production blues. They're a mix between RIRs and australorps. They are only 4 weeks old but so far they have been great. They come running when I let them out of the coop and like for me to rub their chest. The only one that's been pecking at me is the one I suspect to be a rooster.

What is wrong with going to feed store again?? Many of the places have a good assortment of Chick they are selling. Another good thing about feed store in your area, is,,,, they would carry the breeds that would do well in your particular weather climate.
Another thing to consider is your amount of chicks. Many hatcheries have minimums that are quite large, at this time of year. Other hatcheries that offer smaller numbers, have pricey chicks, and pricey delivery charges. It is understandable, that no one is willing to make cheap deliveries, so it is a factor of live chicks delivered to your personal home.
Have you considered getting chicks from keepers in your area??
I can write a long list of cold hardy chickens, but you can find that same list on line.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

There is nothing wrong with the feed store. I honestly don't know what they carry or what they get yet. They wont be getting their chicks till the end of April. I get my snake food from them and my vaccines as well. I just over the years have found a few breeds that I want that I know that the feed store wont carry. I found one website that does small orders I just have never ordered online. I haven't found anyone in my area that has chicks I am still actively looking but so far no luck.

I loved the Rhode Island Whites I got from Hoovers hatchery, they are very docile. one thing i did notice is they seem to hatch about 50/50 on pullet and cockerel though. They have wintered over fine no extra heat or light even with Idaho getting so many -30 temps during the winter, they would be out getting exercise and trying to forage.

I love the Ameracaunas best so they won out when had to choose cause could only have 1 rooster.

Ive had reds before but haven't had any in a couple of years. And we had a ameracauna we loved that thing because my kids loved gathering the colored eggs and she did really good in the cold weather as well. I was looking at hoovers but I want to say they had an amount that I cant do right now.

I was looking at hoovers but I want to say they had an amount that I cant do right now.
Can you do 10 chicks?
My TSC website has a minimum order of 10 and where I live they get the Chicks from Hoover's.
I believe the minimum on Hoover's website is 15, right?
I don't know if that's still too many for you.
I have never ordered chicks online. GC

Can you do 10 chicks?
My TSC website has a minimum order of 10 and where I live they get the Chicks from Hoover's.
I believe the minimum on Hoover's website is 15, right?
I don't know if that's still too many for you.
I have never ordered chicks online. GC

For us right now that is to many but I would love that many. We are also having issues finding a new coop.

For us right now that is to many but I would love that many. We are also having issues finding a new coop.
Mypetchicken allows a minimum of 8. Also, for 8 chickens I think building a coop would be your best bet. Or getting a shed and converting it. We got an old outdoor playhouse for free, fixed it up, put hardware cloth on the windows and its plenty big for my 7.

Mypetchicken allows a minimum of 8. Also, for 8 chickens I think building a coop would be your best bet. Or getting a shed and converting it. We got an old outdoor playhouse for free, fixed it up, put hardware cloth on the windows and its plenty big for my 7.

That is funny that you say that about the play house because I was thinking of that as well.

Back
Top Bottom