chicks

Do you have anyone with fertile eggs? We just did that and it was so much fun. We have all hens as well. Either that or break her. We use a dog crate lifted off the ground slightly. We keep it in the run so the others are still able to see her. No bedding but food or water are put with her. I normally go a couple of days and try to put her back with flock. If she returns to the nest box, give her a few more days in “broody jail” and try again. I have 2 buff Orpingtons that go broody CONSTANTLY and it is so frustrating.

my chicken wants to hatch a chick but can't because there are no roosters

Hi, Welcome to the forum.. Glad you joined.

Forget about what the chicken wants, what do YOU want to happen? You are the important decision maker in this.

If you do not want her to hatch chicks you need to break her from being broody for different reasons. If that is your desire we can tell you how.

You can get fertile eggs and let her hatch them. If you will tell us where you are, at least state or country, we can help you find fertile eggs. If she hatches eggs, you need to have a plan for the chicks. Will you have room? Some will almost certainly be male. What will you do with those?

If you can get some one day old chicks you can try giving them to her. If you want to try this let us know before you do anything so we can help you plan that.

I highly recommend it because it is so entertaining especially with all this mess that’s going on in our World. The only thing about hatching the eggs is you do end up with roosters but I am very fortunate that my friend that gave me the eggs said she would take the Roosters. She has over 100 chickens on her farm.

You can do two things if you don't mind having chicks. One is check the schedule of your feed/farm store for the delivery of chicks in the next 21 days. Buy fake eggs for your broody to sit on. In two weeks to 20 days buy day old chicks and put them under her during the night. Two find someone to buy fertile eggs from. An egg farm nearby, or a neighbor with a rooster perhaps. I have an egg business but many times people come to me for fertile eggs for a broody. Then they return and show me the new chicks later! Good Luck! :hugs

You can do two things if you don't mind having chicks. One is check the schedule of your feed/farm store for the delivery of chicks in the next 21 days. Buy fake eggs for your broody to sit on. In two weeks to 20 days buy day old chicks and put them under her during the night. Two find someone to buy fertile eggs from. An egg farm nearby, or a neighbor with a rooster perhaps. I have an egg business but many times people come to me for fertile eggs for a broody. Then they return and show me the new chicks later! Good Luck! :hugs
thanks !

I heard that some hens kill their kids so i want to make sure i get the right breed & everything
so the chickens don't kill them
I don't think hens killing their chicks is a breed issue. My Sadie, the Speckled Sussex is now sitting on fake eggs. I have eggs in the incubator that I'll give her the chicks when they hatch. She will be a first time mom and I'm anxious to see how she does. Bridget, my easter egger is a chick killer, but Maggie my Buff Orpington is a great mom! You never know. :)

Back
Top Bottom