Chicks

addicted2chicks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
Michigan
Hi all, I am new here and thought I would introduce myself. I currently don't have any chickens but I have 100 on their way next week. I will have 25 Isa browns, 25 Rhode Island reds, 25 Barred rock and 25 Buff Orpingtons. All straight run. Following week my 20 guineas will be here. So I have brooders set and ready, chicken coop and run is being built. I have an incubator for those irresistible eggs I may run across online or elsewhere. It is all so addicting, thank goodness my dh is very understanding and pretty excited himself. I have learned so much from lurking here today and cannot wait to start posting pics as all this plays out.

Hello!
welcome-byc.gif
!

Diving right into the deep end, eh? I wish you the best of luck and a happy time with your chickens!

Any problems, just ask!

wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Welcome!!!!

All in, eh?

Thats a refreshing drink of living waters!

One thing you might want to think of, if you haven't already...with that many chicks, keep them out of regular living areas. Chicks shed this stuf called "chick dust" and it will make you nauseus (sick feeling) and headaches...even if you are not allergic.

I made this mistake with my load of 30 chicks. All my smaller loads of chicks got warm in my living room, this was about 10 higher than I usually had brooding before... we all got sick until relocation.
hu.gif
hide.gif

Just a bit of advice for a first timer. That I wish I had had.

welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif

jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Enjoy your -addictive- babies!

Thanks for the welcome.
And thanks for the info on the dust. I already knew about the dust so I have the brooders set up in our heated garage/workshop/gameroom. lol. I have been figuring all this out all winter so I would do it right. I would rather have them in the house but I do spend alot of time out in our gameroom so it will work better that way to keep the dust down.

Back
Top Bottom