Child with severe constipation/impacted bowel

I know that your post is Years old...but i am in the same situation and wondered how everything has worked out for you and your daughter? My son who is 5 yrs. old and NOT potty trained yet, but Does KNOW that he is supposed to go on the "potty"....He is autistic, so his training is a bit more than just normal "potty training" .....Once we started to potty train, it started to be such an inconvenience for him bc NOW he has to Stop playing...(even though we allowed for him to bring his ipad and/or Nintendo IN to the bathroom with him. He still would "HOLD IT" so that he didnt have to take time out to go the bathroom. This then caused 2 other issues....just like your daughter. He was now constipated Severely, and so he is going to the bathroom little bits ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!! So now when he DOES go, and not bc he wants to but bc he cannot hold it any longer, it is SO painful that then makes him "hold it" even MORE bc it is Too painful to go the the "potty!!"

I am watching him Scream his head off, and yes we have been to the doctor and have been told to give him Miralax. Since my son is autistic, any medications can affect him and cause disturbances. The Miralax does, and it causes him to go Crazy, as any other type of laxative or medicine for constipation, stool softner that type of medicine! I do Not understand it nor do I know what to do? so I give him the Miralax at night b4 he goes to bed in hopes that he will sleep off any adverse and/or personality effects. He also screams out in his sleep and while he is SLEEPING HE HOLDS It?!?!?!?!?! I am worried he is going to rupture something or Explode, SERIOUSLY!! That something permanent is going to happen. I need some advice and help!! I hope that all is well for your daughter and hopefully you can direct me to something that I may not have thought of or some "miracle" cure??? lol!! I am wishing;-) Thank you anyone for your words or advice!!

I think you might do better posting in the social forum - Family stories, pictures etc. where the isn't the accent on poultry.

My niece had the same problem when she was very young I don't recall how she got over it but, she's in her 40's so she must have. I just wanted to make a small suggestion that you try KY jelly around the anal opening and inside a bit (if possible. KY is water soluble so won't gunk anything up. It is slippery and it helps make it easier to expel. I don't think it would cause any problem because it's topical and bland.

My LO now is 4 and half years old, still got half year more will enter kindergarten. Until now she's still having major constipation problem. Been using alot remedies to solve her bowel problems but nth seems to work. I ran out of ideas already, my MIL told me to get milk formula with Prebiotics inside which is good for child's constipation problem. I cant seem to find any brands with Prebiotics, only knw there are ones with DHA. Anyone can help me on that, recommend me any brand which have high level of Prebiotics...

As I knw, milk formula can help kids to be smarter, but I really don't know about treatment for constipation babies and never heard of Prebiotics in milk powder. Children tend to have constipation when they are heaty.. Maintaining a healthy digestive system is very important for children to avoid any constipation problem. Try to train your kids with good habit like drinking plenty of water and eat fruits but strictly no fried food for them..

For constipation baby formula, its better to get those with Prebiotics. There's alot now in the market where u can easily find them in the supermarket. Try to gt Mamil from Dumex which i knw and got experience in. My wife fed my LO with Mamil when he was having constipation last year, and ever since then no more bowel problems for him. Try switching to Mamil and give it a week time to see the results ;) hope ur LO get well soon!

i think for milk formulas that contain prebiotics would be a good one because its not a normal milk formula
doubt cheap milk formulas will have prebiotics as an ingredient
a good milk formula will help in the growth of your children and eliminate other problems such as constipation
NEVER go for CHEAP milk formulas but those that are already PROVEN

Someone upthread mentioned giving applesauce. I just want to mention that I've read you should NOT give applesauce. Apple juice is okay, but not applesauce. There is something in apple (can't remember the name) that will cause constipation, especially if the skin (fiber) is not eaten with it to counteract the effect.

Applesauce is part of the BRAT diet which is to help plug you up to stop diarrhea. The letters stand for Banana Rice Applesauce Toast

Last edited:
Toddler magic tea is an organic herbal remedy to treat your toddler with indigestion, constipation, common cold and other related issues. It's preservative-free and has no side effects in it.

Back
Top Bottom