chilled eggs- survivability

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pokey, Apr 10, 2009.

1. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    i got home today and we are having those severe storms roll through, so of course the storm had to knock off the power. [​IMG] well the bator temp was at 72 and i dont know for how long( power was on atleast til 10-12 i found it at 530) the eggs were at day 14 and alive. anyone think there is still hope? [​IMG]:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    well this far into incubation the embryos should start producing heat so they could probably stay warm for no longer than 45 minutes but hey its worth a shot

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    They may hatch a little late but I can just about guarantee you they'll be fine. Let us know when they hatch, k??

4. laurielynn67

laurielynn67 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    Bryant, Ia
    They will probably be okay I had a mallard duck get killed on the road and it took me 2 days to find her nest and I still got half to hatch. I could not believe it.

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    same thing happened to me on a load of marans eggs. they were due the tenth and eight are pipped today. They didn't even miss a day for getting chilled. Mine got down to 81 but they were probably like that for half a day, and it was about the same point of development. Happened a week or so ago. Just hang in there and be sure to post a celebratory post when they hatch!

AHA!!! I hear PEEPPING. Someone is OUT!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  6. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    my power has went off during hatching twice I think and it didn't mess up the hatchability of the eggs [​IMG]

7. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Chicken eggs are remarkably resilient.
    Good luck

8. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    I would leave them in and candle them in the next day or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by