Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

Boonie Stomper

Crowing
Jan 1, 2018
DC, MD, VA region
) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Last spring my old patio enclosure became a coop for 5 different breeds of hens. It has been a wild learning trip since, with new surprises on a regular basis.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? There are now 3 layers. All have been replacements due to predator losses.

(3) What breeds do you have? There are an Araucana, a Barred Rock and a Red Ranger now.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Backyardchickens.com has become my go-to as there seems to be helpful information regarding every issue one can face regarding keeping chickens.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Nature governs most of my hobbies... Mycology... Gardening... Hiking ... Photography... Watching documentaries on natural science topics... Etcetra.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

At this time, my 3 girls are my only pets. They provide hours of entertainment when there is just the 4 of us up and about at home, especially when it comes to doing yard chores all alone otherwise. The girls are a great help! They do things like insect and weed control, aerating the grass, turning compost piles, kitchen waste reduction, fertilizing... And feeding my appetite for fresh eggs as well.

Happy New Year! This morning is the coldest it has ever been here on January 1 in years... And my hens decided to eat snow instead of having my fresh dish of water to replace the ice. Is that crazy?

Welcome to BYC! Happy New Year! You have A Red Ranger for laying purposes? I thought that they were bred to be a meat bird.
Granted. She is huge and would make tasty fare. She was picked to replace a loss which put me down to one bird, and the seller insisted on two be bought minimum, and due to her size not yet laying at the time she looked like a safer bet against predation versus the others that were available (younger). She does have decent egg production though.

Welcome to BYC. What predator have you been dealing with, and has the problem been eliminated ?
There is a LOT of wildlife around here. Unfortunately there is little that can be done about them as my yard abuts sensitive wetlands. I have caught red-tailed hawks in the act trying to take the birds. My only recourse against that family which lives in the old oak just beside my fence in the next door yard is to make sure they feed on something else before the birds are let out to range. The fox comes around after dusk and lockup. The raccoon is random as are neighborhood roaming stray cats and loose dogs.

It was lessons learned the hard way to NOT let chickens use unlocked accesses to the coop such as windows or a doggie door. Also to never give up looking for the one not inside at lockup and allowed to stay out all night. And if they are not grown up yet keep a vigilant eye out and close proximity to them when allowing them out in the yard. And if sitting on the grass with chicks and you don't see one do NOT lean back without checking your backside first! :hit

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Predators are brutal. :hugs I can't let mine free range unless I am watching or at least in the yard making a lot of noise. I built my birds a very secure large run since they are inside quite a bit. I keep them occupied with alfalfa flakes off the bale, hanging veggies, mirrors, levels, dust bathing area, etc.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours! :)

Back
Top Bottom