1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chilly Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Maxamus, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Maxamus

Maxamus Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2014
    Hello, I have had my flock {3 Brids} for about 3 months but I am very worried. They are about 6-7 months old and they wont lay eggs! I honestly have a loss of words what could cause it. I am feeding them egg laying feed, I give them treats, scratch and they eat they're food. Help!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    How old are they? They may be past their prime laying years, or even their laying years altogether. Did they go through a molt or partial molt after you got them? It may be they will start laying some in spring.

They don't need treats or especially scratch, and if you give very much of either, you may be cutting down on their nutritional needs. Most scratch feeds are low in protein, and scraps are often low in protein as well.

3. MaggieP

MaggieP Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    What breeds? My silver laced Wyandotte didn't lay her first egg until about 6 1/2 months old. I thought I would wait forever! I was so excited when I found it in the nesting box. Maybe they are a little younger than were told when you got 'em, and they will lay soon?

4. KGreene

KGreene Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2014
    You say "about 6-7 months".... is it possible they're younger? I'd say keep toughing it out, they'll lay when they're ready.... Although it may seem like forever to us humanoid type organisms.

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    It could also be the time of the year with it's shorter days. Sometimes when they reach maturity in the late fall early winter they hold off starting till the days get longer.

1 person likes this.
  6. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

FYI you should not feed layer feed until they are actually laying eggs so they don't get a calcium overload, you should instead still be feeding the chick starter grower...

Do they have nesting boxes?
    Do you have a 'fake' egg in the boxes?
    Not knowing your location are you supplementing light so they get 14-16 hours?

There are so many little factors that come into play and some birds just start later then others, especially once the cooler weather and shorter days set in...

Make them comfortable, I would cut out the treats forcing them to a balanced diet for now, and offer them a side of oyster shells... When they are ready they will start to lay...

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by