Chinese Goose In Winter

Okay that's a thought. I've been looking all over and can't seem to find anything about this. Questions like mine but nothing much more.

Giving your geese warm water (hand warm) to dunk their heads in and/or to bathe in helps prevent frostbite.

Poor circulation contributes to frostbite, and the warm water stimulates circulation.

Also, protecting them from high winds combined with extreme cold will help.

Giving your geese warm water (hand warm) to dunk their heads in and/or to bathe in helps prevent frostbite.

Poor circulation contributes to frostbite, and the warm water stimulates circulation.

Also, protecting them from high winds combined with extreme cold will help.
thank-you. They have a house to go into and I have got to start training them to do so at night. Maybe they should only have their food and water inside their building during the winter. I can clean it out a lot better than trying to heal a frostbitten goose.

Good luck, Haunted. I think it is a general concern, as I've read it is possible for Chinese to get frostbite on their knobs, but you're right, not much information out there! I found a thread where they mention that frostbite caused the knob on a brown chinese to turn orange, which then faded over the summer (I assume that on white chinese, it'll turn black?) with no lasting effects, [here it is https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/611799/frostbite-in-geese ] but I didnt see any threads on how to prevent it.

Hopefully their feathers by now are thick enough to handle your weather, so that when they bury their heads in, their knobs will be protected (I've never seen my geese bury their heads that far in, but then again, they haven't been that cold yet)

Good luck, Haunted. I think it is a general concern, as I've read it is possible for Chinese to get frostbite on their knobs, but you're right, not much information out there! I found a thread where they mention that frostbite caused the knob on a brown chinese to turn orange, which then faded over the summer (I assume that on white chinese, it'll turn black?) with no lasting effects, [here it is https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/611799/frostbite-in-geese ] but I didnt see any threads on how to prevent it.

Hopefully their feathers by now are thick enough to handle your weather, so that when they bury their heads in, their knobs will be protected (I've never seen my geese bury their heads that far in, but then again, they haven't been that cold yet)
Thanks, that was one of the threads I did find. I'm going to see if I can catch him/her and rub some vaseline on it and also do what the goose girl said about the warm water. I've been giving them scratch since the end of Sept. so they have been able to put on a little fat but with the chinese it's hard to tell. We've been down into the low 20's for a bit now at night. Day time it is still in the mid 30's and 40's. When she/he does lie down she does bury her nose deep in her feathers.

She/he is already showing some markings and slight peeling on her beak, I think from breaking the ice in their water dish. They refuse to use the one in the house which so far hasn't frozen. Just going to have to watch and see, I guess. Toulouse and Embdens are fine, fat and sassy. Ling-Ling doesn't appear cold or suffering but who knows. I check everyday and if it gets too bad they will be inside their house unless it's in the high 20's. Not much else I can do.

Chat with OregonBlues as she has solid advice on how to handle the cold with geese who have knobs.
Thanks Celtic, I'll give it a shot. Maybe I'm just over thinking it but the weather we have up here can be brutal and this year is shaping up to be bad. I don't want something to happen on my watch if I can prevent it.

It's nothing to really worry all that much about unless you intend to use the birds for showing. As long as they are able to get out of the wind it's unlikely it'll happen anyways. My geese sit outside in their pen in the snow and cold with only a windbreak for protection all winter long and I've had no problem with any birds getting frost bitten.

Back
Top Bottom