Chinese goose late egg death

Gracekelly76

Chirping
Aug 17, 2020
Sydney NSW Australia
Hi, it's my first time incubating goose eggs and around day 25 one of them died, I opened it up and everything looked normal to me, what do you think caused it?

There's 2 that have hatched today at day 32 and another 2 that have externally pipped and 1 that's still alive but the air cell is much smaller than the others and hasn't pipped yet, it looks a bit behind as well

If you haven't already read it, this Goose Incubation and Hatching Guide is a very useful resource.

There are many possible reasons why developing eggs fail to hatch - this Incubation Troubleshooting site may be helpful.

Congrats on your goslings and wishing you the best of luck with your hatch!
I found that guide only once my goose eggs have been incubated 25 days, very useful information but I found it too late.

I only have a thermometer that does full numbers so I kept it at 37 degrees Celsius and humidity 50% to 55% and sprayed every now and then. I also never weighed the eggs. They all have nicely sized air cells that looks like that diagram in the guide. These were shipped eggs so I'm glad

The final egg has now externally pipped!

Here are the first 2, 3 more to go!
DSC_0016.JPG

Ah...shipping can be very hard on eggs - just the fact that they were shipped may explain the late quitters.

They're adorable! Rooting for the other 3!
Yes that's why I was worried but I'm not as worried now they have externally pipped!
I bought 6 and only one was a late quitter so that's pretty good odds :) will update with more pics when the others hatch

I live in Oklahoma where we have high humidity most of the year, I was told by a waterfowl expert not to run any additional humidity until the last week and to take the eggs out and let them cool after the second week as this is what the goose would do as she gets off the nest to feed. The last week add additional humidity to aid in hatching.

Back
Top Bottom