Chinese New Year Hatch/February 3 2011

Lovin' all the chickie pictures. Thanks for sharing. I have 5 out now, 1 zipped (my little Russian Orloff Bantam baby. This was his momma's first egg and can't believe it. Just tossed it in at last sec, all bloody, and it hatched. :0) )and 6 + pipped. 3 hours of sleep last night. Yawn. Congrats to all the other babies and keep the pictures coming.

I have EIGHT babies this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And 3 silkie eggs just sitting there.
hmm.png

My hatch is complete. Started with 18, 2 blood vein, 4 clear and 4 never hatched. So in the end I have 8 little fuzzy BLRW.
wee.gif
woot.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Group shot
63578_img_0939.jpg

Now to get the hatcher cleaned up and ready to set 12 barnyard mix on Sunday. This time I am going to hatch in a carton hopefully not as much clean up.

My hatch is complete! I had 2 quail that pipped and died, and one Naked Neck egg that never pipped and died. Out of the Naked Neck Mix eggs I have 1 with a naked neck he is still in bator not that perky yet, still working on it.
hmm.png
The others hatched out with feather necks. Then out of my eggs I had them all hatch! 7 Lavenders and 11 blacks. I also had 4 quail hatch out. I need to go check on the broody out in the coop. She hatched out 2 last night and I snatched them and put them in the brooder so she can concentrate on her other eggs. Phew! I have a lot of chicks to keep track of.
big_smile.png
I will take some picks as soon as I make sure everyone is fed and taken care of this morning.

Congrats on all the chicks hatched so far! I think we all did pretty good considering all the bad things that happened during the past 21 days on this thread.

Quote:
I see you hatched Serama along with others. I plan on doing that with eggs being set this afternoon. I've heard the Seramas can often hatch a day or two early Did you notice the Serama hatching early? Did you set the Serama eggs later?

Quote:
If you get a lone chick out of this hatch, it should blend well with week olds. I would definatley stick it in with the week olds. I do it all the time, I mix ages when they are chicks. They seem to be picking, but really they just check out the new one and soon they are all cuddled up. Just try it and watch and make sure the intro goes well.

Not this hatch, no CNY chicks for me. The hatcher is already cleaned out for the next round.

The LF Brahma is the only one left of the batch due next week. If it hatches it will be will be 2 weeks younger than the banties.

I had planed to put my CNY ones in with the banties but I didn't get any and wondered if two weeks was too big of a gap.

It is unbelievably sad to see only a single egg in the 'bator and the hatcher sitting idle.
sad.png

I'd planed to wait till the Valentines Day hatch to start another batch but I'm itching to put some in now. That egg looks so lonely all by it's self.

EDIT for typo

I put the one that hatched 2 days earlier in with the 2 week old chicks that I have and they took it right under their wings. (sorry couldn't resist) Everyone was getting along great within seconds of putting it in there and I like that the older chicks help the younger figure out the food and water quicker. Just try it when you have some time to watch them and check up on them for a little bit.

I did have one more hatch yesterday (an easter egger chick) and have at least one more pip. I am pretty sure I heard peeping from someone other than the hatched chick before leaving for work today, so hopefully will have more little peepers when I get home tonight.

I think my silkie is trying to go broodie on me again, even though she has no eggs to sit on; although she may be trying to stay warm in this funky weather. If she is going broodie, how long can I keep her going with fake eggs to put eggs I want under her? Does anyone know?

There are FIVE chicks in the incubator this morning, and there was only one when I went to bed last night... WOW! Didn't have time to take pictures, but it is so cute when they are sitting in the vacant egg carton spots like chairs. Last night's chick has moved to another spot, and is all fluffed up. The other four are in various stages of wet, damp, wobbly, cheepy, sleeping.

I can hardly wait to get home from work!

..edited to fix auto fix oopsies....

Last edited:
Quote:
Darn genetics! What does your NN look like?

Well it is kinda hard to tell. It is really sticky. It kinda looks like some of the yolk didn't absorb and it is smeared on its feathers. It looks really naked right now. I am letting it rest some more and then I am going to dab some warm water on it and see if I can find it's feathers. I think it will be fine, it just need some TLC. The white leghorn egg hatched out a huge yellow fluffy chick with 2 small dots of black on it's back. I promise I will take pics as soon as I get everyone situated. Then out of an EE egg of yours I got a really light colored chipmunk looking one. Then I have a black looking one that came from a brown egg. Pics to come soon!

Back
Top Bottom