Chinese painted/button quail

Pics
Button pairs are much happier together as long as they like each other (and it's easiest with two that have been raised together). Trios or groups might be peaceful for awhile then all hell will break loose one day and there will be bloodshed. Just put things in the cage where the female can hide from her mate if she wants a bit of alone time.

I don't like chicken eggs on their own but I can eat quail eggs - they are a bit milder to my tastebuds, and creamier. I think the Jumbo Coturnix/Japanese can be quite large.

Button pairs are much happier together as long as they like each other (and it's easiest with two that have been raised together). Trios or groups might be peaceful for awhile then all hell will break loose one day and there will be bloodshed. Just put things in the cage where the female can hide from her mate if she wants a bit of alone time.

I don't like chicken eggs on their own but I can eat quail eggs - they are a bit milder to my tastebuds, and creamier. I think the Jumbo Coturnix/Japanese can be quite large.
A button pair that has been raised together is the way to go then! :)

A button pair that has been raised together is the way to go then! :)
Are you still planning to hatch eggs your own eggs, or are you starting to think about buying a male/female pair, any combo pair, adults or chicks?

Are you still planning to hatch eggs your own eggs, or are you starting to think about buying a male/female pair, any combo pair, adults or chicks?
Hmmm....I don't know - I have time to think yet as I can't have them until after our kitchen has been renovated. I've just been soaking one of my seramas feet in a bowl to ease a poo off - I lead such a glamorous life!!!! :bun

I've never actually eaten a quail egg - do they taste similar to chicken eggs? I have five seramas and looking at photos of Japanese online they look to be about the same size bird - would you agree?

I've never seen a Serama in person, so I'm not sure how big they are compared to quail. I seem to recall Seramas are the smallest chicken breed? I wouldn't mind getting a couple someday, from the pics I've seen they're nice looking birds. A coturnix quail is about the size of a softball. You can pick them up with one hand, by grasping them over the back and wings. They're used to human contact so they don't struggle much (it varies with each bird). There are also a couple of "jumbo" meat breeds of coturnix, but I've never seen one up close.

Quail eggs taste just like chicken eggs, plus they contain more nutrients and less cholesterol. Five coturnix quail eggs equals one large chicken egg for cooking. They're real showstoppers at potlucks or social events. You can hard boil them, pickle them, fry them or use them in baking. They're great in salads and on top of casseroles, hard boiled with or without the shell. Shells are thinner than chicken eggs and easier to crack or peel. Some Chinese dim sum dumplings contain a whole quail egg. I most often use them in stir fries. Coturnix quail also make good meat birds, they mature fast (6 weeks) and their meat is tender and delicious. I don't eat meat anymore and I view my quail as pets, so I have no interest in slaughtering them.

Hmmm....I don't know - I have time to think yet as I can't have them until after our kitchen has been renovated. I've just been soaking one of my seramas feet in a bowl to ease a poo off - I lead such a glamorous life!!!! :bun
haha dont we all!

I was going to say I could send you some eggs and guarantee they wouldn't be related in case you managed to get a male-female pair out of them, but then I realised I was being thick :gigI may still be able to help in some respect, although I'm guessing by your gumtree link you are a good couple of hours or so away from me.

Or even
I've never seen a Serama in person, so I'm not sure how big they are compared to quail. I seem to recall Seramas are the smallest chicken breed? I wouldn't mind getting a couple someday, from the pics I've seen they're nice looking birds. A coturnix quail is about the size of a softball. You can pick them up with one hand, by grasping them over the back and wings. They're used to human contact so they don't struggle much (it varies with each bird). There are also a couple of "jumbo" meat breeds of coturnix, but I've never seen one up close.

Quail eggs taste just like chicken eggs, plus they contain more nutrients and less cholesterol. Five coturnix quail eggs equals one large chicken egg for cooking. They're real showstoppers at potlucks or social events. You can hard boil them, pickle them, fry them or use them in baking. They're great in salads and on top of casseroles, hard boiled with or without the shell. Shells are thinner than chicken eggs and easier to crack or peel. Some Chinese dim sum dumplings contain a whole quail egg. I most often use them in stir fries. Coturnix quail also make good meat birds, they mature fast (6 weeks) and their meat is tender and delicious. I don't eat meat anymore and I view my quail as pets, so I have no interest in slaughtering them.
Yes, you can pick a serama up with one hand too - they are lovely birds!

I don't eat meat either FirstTimeClucky - all my animals are just spoilt rotten! :D

Back
Top Bottom