Chinese painted quail ( button quail ) housing

quail kid1

Songster
9 Years
Mar 20, 2010
Hello,

Whta size rabbit cage or just a cage be for 1 male button quail with 2 female buttons or just 3 female buttons?

What would the minimum size be for 1 male and 2 hens
smile.png
? or just 3 hens?

Quail kid1

I have a 20 gallon fish tank with shaving on the bottom and I have 4 quail in it and they seem to love the space. Before that I took an old dresser drawer about 18in long and 12in wide and stapled chicken wire to the top and that worked really. If you put there water and food bowl in the cage and they have a good amount of space left, they should be good.

Button Quail are monogamous. Meaning 1 male and 1 female.
Just 3 females will probably fight. 2 females and 1 male and the 2 females will
fight over the male. It may not happen immediately but eventually you will
come home to a bloody head and possibly a dead hen..
sad.png

They do not do well on wire flooring. There tiny feet are best suited for Pine Shavings.
Never Cedar though as the smell will cause respiratory problems
They cannot tolerate extreme cold. They originate from Southern China where temperatures
are above 75 degrees.
A regular bird cage can be modified by removing the wire flooring so as there is just the tray on the bottom
Then pine shavings can be placed on that for them.
Hope that helps,
David

Thank you so much!!!!! Just one more question
tongue.png
Can I house 2 males and 2 females?

quailkid1

You might get lucky and they didn't fight. I have a couple communal cages where there are 4/cage.
But I have 17 cages of Buttons and cannot handle anymore cages at the moment...

Buttons are territorial which is why they "might" fight in that situation...
If you can hold off for now and just get 2, a pair, then find or make another cage for another pair
that's what I would recommend..

David

Also, a bird cage will not work if you are going to let the female hatch the eggs! The babies will slip right through the bars. You'll have to move them to an aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom