Chipmunk Chick

SomeChickinTN

Songster
Nov 19, 2018
E TN
I think someone posted the other day about a chick that looked like a chipmunk, but I can't remember which forum it was in.... What breed is that? Is the pattern breed specific? Also, a white chick with black spots..... silkie?

That's what came to my mind too. He also says he has black sex links, but have no idea what those are other than it's easier to tell gender. I asked for leghorns, golden comets, or other non broody layers. I know a little about wyandotte's, but can't remember if they are broody.
Black sex link is just another hybrid, like the golden comets (which are red sex links). Only the first generation is sex linked. Usually the black sex links are a red rooster over a barred hen, which produces barred cockerels, and black bodied/gold headed pullets.

Ok, so the babies wouldn't be sex links, but would they still retain the characteristics of the parents minus obvious gender? They'd still be good layers?

I've heard that. I don't have them. They're egg machines, but as I understand it, they drop off production at 2 1/2 years or so.
Why wouldn't his chicks be sex linked?

Idk, I was reading an article about it that said the babies of two sex links would not be sex links themselves....

That is correct. But if you have the right breeds, they're easy to create. The comets have a leghorn father and either a red or a buff mother. The BSL have a solid father and a barred mother.

Thanks. I'm over my head with breeding but I'm trying not to make it too hard, with having to have a rooster for each breed that I have. It would be nice to figure out if I can can have a couple breeds that my one male orpington can cycle through without losing egg production with the babies, if that even made sense, lol.

I get it.
Oh, and I forgot to answer the question about Wyandottes being broody. They can be. Hatchery ones don't tend to be; mine wasn't this year at all. My persistent broodies were my SS and my dark brahma. Poor Hawke (the brahma) was persistently broody all summer. She's going to be my mom when I go to hatch eggs, I can tell.

B010ADA6-02AF-4D46-B9CA-D9FD1A011450.jpeg
It was me who asked . It was so different than it’s siblings and the person who said it’s going to looks like it’s mom (Mille fleur d’uccle ) is right. Though without spots. When it’s mom was a chick she was tan and not chipmunk looking. It had me confused

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom