Chipmunk Chick

SomeChickinTN

Songster
Nov 19, 2018
E TN
I think someone posted the other day about a chick that looked like a chipmunk, but I can't remember which forum it was in.... What breed is that? Is the pattern breed specific? Also, a white chick with black spots..... silkie?

I second the above. :) Many, many breeds and varieties appear chipmunk-esque: Welsummer, Speckled Sussex, Easter Egger, Brown Leghorn, Phoenix, and pretty much anything Black Breasted Red or Spangled. Which is far from completing the list.

Looking forward to pictures! :pop

~Alex

Golden laced is not a breed, right? It's a color pattern? I may not buy the chickens I posted about above, but in addition to looking at those, I had posted an add looking for specific breeds, a guy replied that he has golden laced, bantys, Easter eggers, and a game chicken... and all I could think was golden laced what?

Golden laced is not a breed, right? It's a color pattern? I may not buy the chickens I posted about above, but in addition to looking at those, I had posted an add looking for specific breeds, a guy replied that he has golden laced, bantys, Easter eggers, and a game chicken... and all I could think was golden laced what?

'Gold Laced' probably means he has Gold Laced Wyandottes. They're the most common 'Gold Laced' that I'm aware of.

'Gold Laced' probably means he has Gold Laced Wyandottes. They're the most common 'Gold Laced' that I'm aware of.
That's what came to my mind too. He also says he has black sex links, but have no idea what those are other than it's easier to tell gender. I asked for leghorns, golden comets, or other non broody layers. I know a little about wyandotte's, but can't remember if they are broody.

That's what came to my mind too. He also says he has black sex links, but have no idea what those are other than it's easier to tell gender. I asked for leghorns, golden comets, or other non broody layers. I know a little about wyandotte's, but can't remember if they are broody.
Black sex link is just another hybrid, like the golden comets (which are red sex links). Only the first generation is sex linked. Usually the black sex links are a red rooster over a barred hen, which produces barred cockerels, and black bodied/gold headed pullets.

Black sex link is just another hybrid, like the golden comets (which are red sex links). Only the first generation is sex linked. Usually the black sex links are a red rooster over a barred hen, which produces barred cockerels, and black bodied/gold headed pullets.

Ok, so the babies wouldn't be sex links, but would they still retain the characteristics of the parents minus obvious gender? They'd still be good layers?

Ok, so the babies wouldn't be sex links, but would they still retain the characteristics of the parents minus obvious gender? They'd still be good layers?

I've heard that. I don't have them. They're egg machines, but as I understand it, they drop off production at 2 1/2 years or so.
Why wouldn't his chicks be sex linked?

Back
Top Bottom