Chipmunks eating chicken feed

Wizbop

Songster
9 Years
Mar 27, 2010
Greensboro, NC
The chipmunks are having a good ole time eating at my chicken feeder. My girls are free range out in the backyard. We are city dwellers and there are lots of little chipmunks. I don't have an outside cat. The dog sleeps his days away in the sun unphased by the little cuties. Anything I can do aside from just deal with it? Is this common?

Very common! You can pick up the feed during the day if it bothers you... my hens chase chipmunks off if they're around, but if they're not there, the chipmunks get a free lunch. (mine free range too)

I have chubby chipmunks!

I looked out the back door a few days ago and saw our 5 chickens having a scratch party with 2 squirrel just a few feet from our deck. I think the local wildlife is getting a bit too comfortable in our back yard. The cottontail bunnies are even venturing out into the yard in the daytime.

Sadly the little cuties are just as bad as any rodent for the damage they do and the parasites they pack. If your hens are not eating their feed in the day take it away. I use bait to control mice since we have the deer mice with hantavirus here. Chipmunks eat the same bait. I use a 3 or 4 inch foot long hunk of sewer pipe for a container, and wire the bait to the center of the pipe so that the chickens can't get in or even peck at the bait. They love tunnels and go in there to eat. Be sure to buy the newer expensive bait that not only is more humane but the body is safe to eat in case your dog or chickens get one. It's well worth it. They can be trapped with peanut butter too if you want to try a snap trap but keep it out of chicken reach somehow.

Quote:
Yep, after his morning run, he's done for the day and could care less about a little "chickmunk" as my daughter calls them.

well you might have to think about the bucket to get rid of them because you dont wont them eating your feed or trying to get your feed to they get it...
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

We live in Maine, and we are infested with the dang things!! The other day there was one inside the small coop for my 5 weekers- it squeezed through the one inch hole!! I keep the regular feed in a platic garbage can, though.

Back
Top Bottom