1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chirping to Chicken noises

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alexthechicken, Oct 6, 2012.

1. alexthechicken

alexthechicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    Hey everyone!
    I was wondering when a chick starts making chicken noises. like when does a roo start to crow or a pullet start making clucks?

Thanks,
    Alex

2. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

I think ours started sounding chicken like at about 7 or 8 weeks old and crowing at about 4+ months old

RobertH

3. KnobbyOaks

KnobbyOaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Central Texas
    Thanks for asking this. I wanted to know the answer to this question too.

4. sluggospud

sluggospud Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2012
    My barred rocks are 7.5 weeks old, and today I heard a couple of buck-buck's mixed in with the chirps. It's still mostly chirps, with a few other noises mixed in.

5. HouseMouseHens

HouseMouseHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    My Coop
    I have four "waves" of chicks, as I had to get them over a few weeks to get all the breeds I wanted from our local farm store. The first ones were born Aug 1st, making them about 9 weeks. A few of them have a full on cluck, no cheeping at all, and one is still pretty much cheeping. My second set, which are a week younger has two that are clucking and three that are making higher pitched cheep-clucking noises. The next (two weeks younger than the first ones) set only one is slightly clucking, but she seems like she grew really fast anyways, so I guess thats why she's clucking early. My last two are five weeks are still cheep like babies. I think it varies a bit by chicken, but it seems around the 7 week mark is when their noises really started to change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by