Chloe's First 2021 Hatch-A-Long!

Pics
What day do you start candling your eggs? And on your darker eggs like a marans how do you tell if you've got development
I'm going to candle the small bantam eggs that I'm pretty sure aren't fertile on day 4 to clear up room in the incubator if they're not fertile, but the bigger maran eggs I'm doing on day 7.

What day do you start candling your eggs? And on your darker eggs like a marans how do you tell if you've got development
I may or may not have started candling on day 2. :oops:
I never throw out a maran egg until day 12 or 14 if I don't see development. I use the Magicfly egg candler and it is AMAZING! Usually I can tell if the yolk is just loosely moving around or if it is pretty stationary. Stationary means you most likely have fertility. Loose means it most likely isn't. By day 14 the eggs should be turning black with the chick and be able to 100% know about fertility.

So I didn't take pics (SORRY), BUT 4 eggs are for sure developing! 1 Austra I am questioning and I haven't seen anything in the Blue Maran.
I’m following along and learning on the way! Please share anything and everything lol hubby surprised me at Christmas with an incubator but I’m new to chicken keeping so wouldn’t even know where to begin. Will attempt hatching in the future, it’s intimidating me :idunno best of luck to all of you:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom