Chlorhexidine vs Vetericyn?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HollyWoozle, Oct 23, 2019.

1. HollyWoozle

HollyWoozle Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Please can someone tell me when they would use chlorhexidine and when they would use vetericyn? I see both mentioned regularly but I made a search on here (and Googled) but couldn't find a clear answer as to when you would use which.

I am updating my first aid kit, which I have posted about on here before, but we have far less options here in the UK it seems. I do already have chlorhexidine in the form of purple spray which I also use on my horses and that works well but I was wondering if I should purchase some vetericyn too. My purple spray has also been open quite some time so will replace it.

We don't get Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment here to my knowledge but perhaps can get it shipped or maybe we have some equivalent - I am investigating that as it also seems a handy thing to have.

Shadrach and Mybackyardpeepers like this.
  2. Soy Milano

Soy Milano Chirping

Jun 19, 2017
    chlorhexidine is an actual antiseptic that helps prevent contamination with bacteria. You'd use this for any open wounds. Vetericyn is more of a fluff spray to aid in keeping the wound hydrated while it heals. To be honest, Vetericyn is a waste of money, and I have never used it on any of my animals.

Shadrach and casportpony like this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

I use Chlorhexidine for cleaning a wound. Then spray Vetericyn for helping with healing.

4. HollyWoozle

HollyWoozle Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Interesting, thank you!

Shadrach likes this.
  5. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    I can tell you vetericyn has been VERY helpful in healing numerous ailments in my animals.

HollyWoozle and Shadrach like this.
  6. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    If you can..get some Neosporin..it will help if you ever have a prolapse issue..or whatever..just good have ..Get the non.painrelief

7. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    I have both chlorhexidine and veterycin, I use them both. Chlorhexidine is particularly good for cleaning/flushing out a nasty wound. Veterycin is good for daily cleaning/flushing and it does aid healing. And it doesn't sting, so causes no discomfort when using.

8. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    I agree with you 100% I think I looked up the active ingredients before and came to the conclusion that is some type of bleach water.

HollyWoozle and Shadrach like this.
  9. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Chlorhexidine here for all wound cleaning and general disinfection.
    Vetericyn would have to be got from the Internet and I too am doubtful about it's effectiveness.
    I don't have triple antibiotic cream here either.
    What I use for healing and wound packing is Blastoestimlina.

HollyWoozle likes this.
  10. HollyWoozle

HollyWoozle Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Lots of helpful opinions here, thank you. Whenever we have had wounded chickens in the past I have literally just flushed with saline and use chlorhexidine spray, then kept the chicken separate, well fed etc. It has always worked until now but we have never had anything overly complicated or serious and I see so many other things mentioned on here that I would like to be prepared!

I do find it frustrating that we are so limited in what we can buy here. So many things mentioned on BYC just aren't available without a prescription (Baytril for example). I guess I would just have to go to vet in that case.

@Duckfarmer1 - I just managed to find someone in the UK selling Neosporin ointment. Hooray! I ordered the original (not the + pain relief one).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: