Choc Orp/Silver Duckwing Phoenix

NeedMoreChickems

In the Brooder
May 21, 2023
So my Chocolate Orpingtons resulted in color defects in the roos and only one hen. She was put in the coop with my Silver Duckwing Phoenix's to free up space for more CO grow outs from a different breeder. I told myself I wouldn't hatch her eggs but curiosity is starting to get to me. Has anyone done this before? Pics available? If not what would you say the results would be? I've tried the kippen calculator but I can't make any sense of the coding, still very new to this. Thanks in advance.

Sexlinks. The males will be black with pale yellow leakage and the females will be chocolate with gold leakage. (Assuming the male is gold based.) They will be sexable upon hatch by the down color (black vs chocolate.)

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you're talking about a Chocolate Orpington hen that would be bred by a Silver Phoenix rooster? Chocolate is sexlinked recessive, so breeding a non-chocolate rooster like a Silver Phoenix to a chocolate hen would not make sexlinks. You would get all black offspring, both males and females, but the males would all carry the chocolate gene without expressing it due to it being recessive.

Since the Orpington is based on extended black, which is dominant to patterns, all offspring should be mostly black with varying amounts of color leaking through. The female offspring would have silver leakage from their father, but the male offspring could have silver or pale yellow leakage depending on whether the mother is silver or gold based.

Sexlinks. The males will be black with pale yellow leakage and the females will be chocolate with gold leakage. (Assuming the male is gold based.) They will be sexable upon hatch by the down color (black vs chocolate.)

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you're talking about a Chocolate Orpington hen that would be bred by a Silver Phoenix rooster? Chocolate is sexlinked recessive, so breeding a non-chocolate rooster like a Silver Phoenix to a chocolate hen would not make sexlinks. You would get all black offspring, both males and females, but the males would all carry the chocolate gene without expressing it due to it being recessive.

Since the Orpington is based on extended black, which is dominant to patterns, all offspring should be mostly black with varying amounts of color leaking through. The female offspring would have silver leakage from their father, but the male offspring could have silver or pale yellow leakage depending on whether the mother is silver or gold ba

Since the Orpington is based on extended black, which is dominant to patterns, all offspring should be mostly black with varying amounts of color leaking through. The female offspring would have silver leakage from their father, but the male offspring could have silver or pale yellow leakage depending on whether the mother is silver or gold based.
Yes Choc hen/Silver roo. Thank you for that explanation.

Oh, my bad. I thought it was a chocolate cock because usually the cock is stated first in a cross. Silver Phoenix/chocolate Orpington. I didn’t read very closely.
X2, all chicks would be black, males with yellowish leakage, females with silver.

Oh, my bad. I thought it was a chocolate cock because usually the cock is stated first in a cross. Silver Phoenix/chocolate Orpington. I didn’t read very closely.
X2, all chicks would be black, males with yellowish leakage, females with silver.
Lol all good, I was confused reading your reply, I figured my explanation wasn't very good. Thanks for helping.

Back
Top Bottom