Chocolate/Dun Silkies?

I am bidding on some chocolate silkie eggs that are on auction on byc. It is such a pretty color lol. I want to add some to my current flock :)

Interested in sex-link chocolate silkie project AND a separate dun/khaki silkie project. Chocolate from black (no hidden blue or mixed flock interbreeding) please, chocolate from paint or chocolate cuckoo also ok. Looking for hatching eggs, but also interested in chicks or adults. Breeder quality wanted, but I am willing to work with F1, F2, etc pet quality stages as well, especially if the silkie parent stock are of high quality. Good wings are a MUST, bad wings are a deal breaker. The closer to silkie breed type, fewer faults the better and I am willing to pay silkie-prices for the hard work involved breeding towards silkie perfection.

Please PM me or reply here if you prefer. JUST PLEASE TO CONTACT ME & tell me about what you have.

Last edited:
OMG I need a chocolate silkie chicken.. my dream chicken exists...

Quote:

Have to breed it in. I used chocolate polish. Here is my baby khaki; way too young to show, but nevertheless, she's in her first tomorrow in Tucson, then again at Shawnee in a couple of weeks.

20590_sam_1623.jpg

and with a pale lavender, a blue and a black for colour comparison.

20590_sam_1630.jpg

I have several younger ones as well. This is the first generation with all silkie features.

Dun is an allele of dominant white; choc is an entirely separate gene. Their appearance is virtually identical. Inheritance is completely different. Dun is incompletely dominant. One copy (I^D/i+) dilutes to the colour chocolate, two copies (I^D/I^D) dilutes to the colour khaki. Fawn silver duckwing is also based upon dun. The e-allele appears to make a huge difference in the amount of dilution. Silver vs gold seems to change the hue.

choc is a sex-linked recessive gene. All the US "chocolates" are actually dun-based. Unless someone is working on a project and has crossed seramas to get choc into a different breed, it is not present in the US, except in seramas. It is available in Europe and elsewhere in other breeds.

I am not aware of chocolate sumatras; they would be interesting to see as their black is so very intense; I wonder how their chocolate would be?

Back
Top Bottom