Chocolate gene

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by featherfooted, Nov 12, 2009.

1. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Does the chocolate gene in Runner ducks act like the blue gene? I have Chocolate, Black and Blue runner ducklings and I was trying to figure out the genetics so later I would know who I should put together for each color ducklings. thanks.

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I'm not sure...I know with my muscovies I can get blue & chocolate in the same clutch--so I'd think so??

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Drake on left / (duck) hen on right.
    black X chocolate = 100% black ducklings, drakelets will be chocolate carriers.
    blue X chocolate = 50% black, 50% blue ducklings, drakelets that carry chocolate.
    chocolate X black = black drakelets that carry chocolate and chocolate ducklets.
    chocolate X blue = black and blue males that carry chocolate, chocolate and lilac females.

Chris

4. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Thanks! Genetics is very interesting, but can be hard to understand. Thanks for making it simple.

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I don't know about in ducks or chickens but I sure know I've got the chocolate gene!! And I'm a "pureist" Hershey's only!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by