Chocolate Mottled Cochin Bantam Project

Bluebell81

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2021
Good Morning! I would like to start breeding for Chocolate Mottled Cochin Bantams. I already have 3 Black Mottled Cochin bantam Hens & 1 Black Mottled Cochin bantam Rooster. I’m having a difficult time finding a Chocolate Cochin bantam for this project. I have, however, found Chocolate Orpingtons. Could I breed a Chocolate Orpington Hen to my Black Mottled Cochin Rooster to get this Chocolate Mottled project started?

Good Morning! I would like to start breeding for Chocolate Mottled Cochin Bantams. I already have 3 Black Mottled Cochin bantam Hens & 1 Black Mottled Cochin bantam Rooster. I’m having a difficult time finding a Chocolate Cochin bantam for this project. I have, however, found Chocolate Orpingtons. Could I breed a Chocolate Orpington Hen to my Black Mottled Cochin Rooster to get this Chocolate Mottled project started?
I think you could use the chocolate orp to introduce the color. It may take a while to get the size back down. I have seen Orpingtons offered in a bantam size, though they are more a mid size bird. May be a better candidate. Good luck with your project!😊

Yes, you could. You'll be contending with lighter foot feathering, white skin, and oversized birds for a while, though. These Chocolate Cochin bantams were from a Chocolate Orpington outcross and you can see that they're not the best in terms of type for Cochins. I don't know exactly how many generations out they are, but would guess maybe 2 or 3 at the most. I don't have any size comparisons of them to my other Cochin bantams of the same age, but they are both visibly larger than the pure Cochins of the same sex.

Chocolate cochin.jpg

Freia no text.jpg

If you're in the U.S., I do know of a farm that has Chocolate Mottled Cochin bantams already that I can direct you to. 🙂 I don't know if they still have any egg availability this year, but they should in the spring at least.

I think you could use the chocolate orp to introduce the color. It may take a while to get the size back down. I have seen Orpingtons offered in a bantam size, though they are more a mid size bird. May be a better candidate. Good luck with your project!😊
Ok. I’ll see if I can find a Choc. Orpington in bantam size. Thank you!

Yes, you could. You'll be contending with lighter foot feathering, white skin, and oversized birds for a while, though. These Chocolate Cochin bantams were from a Chocolate Orpington outcross and you can see that they're not the best in terms of type for Cochins. I don't know exactly how many generations out they are, but would guess maybe 2 or 3 at the most. I don't have any size comparisons of them to my other Cochin bantams of the same age, but they are both visibly larger than the pure Cochins of the same sex.

View attachment 3281540
View attachment 3281542

If you're in the U.S., I do know of a farm that has Chocolate Mottled Cochin bantams already that I can direct you to. 🙂 I don't know if they still have any egg availability this year, but they should in the spring at least.
Yes, I see what you mean. Thank you for showing me! I am in the U.S. I’m in Mississippi. I would love to have the name of the farm.

Yes, I see what you mean. Thank you for showing me! I am in the U.S. I’m in Mississippi. I would love to have the name of the farm.

Oh, they're pretty close to you, then! Fluff-N-Stuff Farm in Alabama: https://www.facebook.com/fluffnstufffarm

If you use an orp you would need to keep a male thats split then breed to the siblings to get chocolate pullets and mottled

Yes, the Chocolate gene is sexlinked recessive. First generation of a Mottled male to Chocolate female would produce all black offspring, all carrying mottled, and only the males carrying chocolate. Actually, it would probably be better to put a Chocolate Orpington male over Mottled Cochin females; first generation from that would make all Chocolate females and all Black males, all carrying mottling and all males carrying Chocolate. Breed sibling to sibling in that generation and you would see about 12.5% Chocolate Mottled in their offspring, so about 1 in 8 chicks.

Oh, they're pretty close to you, then! Fluff-N-Stuff Farm in Alabama: https://www.facebook.com/fluffnstufffarm

Yes, the Chocolate gene is sexlinked recessive. First generation of a Mottled male to Chocolate female would produce all black offspring, all carrying mottled, and only the males carrying chocolate. Actually, it would probably be better to put a Chocolate Orpington male over Mottled Cochin females; first generation from that would make all Chocolate females and all Black males, all carrying mottling and all males carrying Chocolate. Breed sibling to sibling in that generation and you would see about 12.5% Chocolate Mottled in their offspring, so about 1 in 8 chicks.
Awesome! Thank you so much for your help!

If you are on Facebook I know that Deb Don McCullers in Georgia is breeding them and may have eggs.

Back
Top Bottom