chocolate opingtons

shobach

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2016
hallo.

I have 3 chocolate opington hens. I don't have a chocolate cock, but want to breed one. I do have blue, lavender, buff and koekoek colour cocks. can I use some of them to breed a split chocolate cock or do I need a black cock?

johan.

Cross your choc hens with the blue roo.
You will get blue and black cockerels but all will carry the choc gene.
Cross one of those black cockerels back to the choc hens.
Youll get choc and black pullets and choc and black carring choc chicks.
Other crosses will get you there but itll bring in too many of the other color genes that will keep popping up in the future.
Best to only bred choc with blacks. Your blue will work cause blues will give you blacks and blue cant hide. If it carries blue at all it shows.
Idk what koekoek color is?
If you cross in lav it is recessive so it can be carried unseen forever in your future birds and pop up when you dont want it. It can also mix with choc and make a mauve color.
I hate crossing buff into any blue, black, splash, lav or choc lines. Imo it just makes a mess of the lines as far as getting back to a pure color line.

Hallo.

sorry koekoek is the
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Plymouth Rock colour. [/COLOR]​

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]johan.[/COLOR]​

Hallo. sorry koekoek is the
Plymouth Rock colour.​
johan.​
Barred? You can use the barred roo and get barred pullets and barred cockerels that all carry choc. Cross those cockerels back to the choc hens and get choc, black, barred and choc barred pullets and cockerels. The black and barred cockerel chicks will be split for choc.

Back
Top Bottom