Chocolate Orpingtons

Quote:
I had written a genetic expert and he thinks there is a Brown tint. He is skeptical it is the same gene that is reffered to as the DUN or Choc, however I am too pursue this further. And that will happen cause this feather coloration is present in my Motttled Orpington. And by making more Mottleds, the chance is good I will have some more of this coloration. And hope to have enough to cull for the lightest or most diluted Black Orp. What is even better, the presence of this feather may also help identify which Black offspring may have my Mottled gene.

Last edited:
in most black orpington when or while or before or after they molt, you will see sun bleached feathers like brown on them..pretty typical.

these are not black orps but from a project..unfortanly its not choc
013-2-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

1 of our Black orp roo's, but kinda choc looking..he's ready for a molt maybe
036-2.jpg

real choc orps from Keith's orps
2chochens.jpg

molted Feathers from this particular roo, see the feather in the middle, the quill is almost a brown color rather than black
blackorpfeathers001.jpg

blackorpfeathers009.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
That is the same color. Not a Choc color, but it is brown. My Mottled pullet has one feather like these. And it is not from the sun seeing I had her inside most of her life. The hen is this color. It is not a true black color. Now she is coming in as a mottled. Makes me think that the Mottled gene is close with this color variation. Charlie bird shows the samecoloring along with a Mottled gene. Is this Choc? NO, but it is brown!
Fin McPherson says if there is any black feathers it is not a Choc. I agree, however there is a Brown bird in Charlie's pics, and I know my bird is partially Brown till she molts out all the way.

Last edited:
I agree that black orps before molting can look brown. My lav split hens could have passed for chocolates before they molted and now their new feathers coming back in are black. They looked just like Lildinkems hen. For mine I believe it is just a molt thing and nothing more, wish I would have taken a picture.

I hope to know soon enough if this pullet is chocolate as she just started to lay.
big_smile.png

49849_dsc03726.jpg

Quote:
It certainly is possible. Her father needs to have had 1 copy of the CHOC gene, though. Tell us if she stays that color.

From whom did you receive her?

She is home grown as I own her father and mother. I am also 90% sure her father does carry the choc gene. I will be setting her eggs within the month so I should know for sure then.
smile.png

I decided to take her back to her father and see what I get. I am pretty positive it will produce chocolate offspring. I am setting her eggs Dec. 15th as my bator is full up at the moment. Once I see the results and if good I will proceed with some splits.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom