1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chocolate Orpingtons?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sophiejw, Oct 6, 2011.

1. sophiejw

sophiejw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    I just wondered if anyone had any info, or knew what the most desired colour for a Chocolate Orpington is. (yes I know chocolate [​IMG])

I bought some LF Choc Orp eggs off ebay, and have hatched 5 chicks which are now 5 weeks old. 4 of them are a dark brown colour. The 5th is a lovely lighter more chocolatey colour. But it looks like it is getting some sort of almost barring on some of the feathers on it's back. I think it has the nicest colour, but I'm guessing the darker ones are "better" as they are solid with no markings.

Am I right or is it more complicated than this? The light coloured one is a fair bit smaller than the others too.

I have another lot of Choc Orp ebay eggs in the incubator now (they are unrelated to the chicks), I'm hoping if any hatch I might be able to breed them next year which is why I'd like to know what the "best" colours / markings for them are.

Any thoughts much appreciated thanks

2. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. Hi sophiejw I was wondering who is the breeder of the LF Chocolate Orpingtons you have eggs from ? I might like to acquire some. Do you have any info on their bloodline.

[​IMG] Thanks Bill

3. sophiejw

sophiejw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    That's a lovely bird in the picture. The chicks are that colour (except for the lighter one) so I'm glad 4/5 are the right colour [​IMG]

The eggs in the incubator have Rob Boyd bloodlines apparently. Don't know about the chicks. Both sets of eggs bought from different ebayer sellers at different ends of the country so I'm hoping that's as good a chance of being unrelated as possible.

I can pm you the ebay user names of the people I bought them off if you wanted to contact them. Don't know how they'd feel about shipping eggs outside the UK but you could always ask....

4. BBrock

BBrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    There are very few breeders here with chocolate orpingtons even fewer with LF. I knew the eggs didn't come from the US because no one will sell them on ebay here yet

5. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. Hi Brandon did you get that website yet? You know It only takes a few minutes if you want I'll help you set it up.

6. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    below birds are from Grant Brereton the source of ALL chocolate orps in the world so far, he rescued this gene from the hands of the Late Dr. Carefoot

[​IMG]

7. Heather08

Heather08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Florida
    I was under the impression that true chocolate should have no variation in shade breeds true . According to Dr carefoot, however i have seen other threads where it was suggested otherwise. If that is the case , some birds being sold are not true sex linked chocolate.

8. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:that's not correct.. I believe you are misinterpreting Dr. Carefoot research

Chocolate as any melanin diluter is affected by the presence/absence of Melanizers.... that's a FACT..

edit.
    I will like you to

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  9. Heather08

Heather08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Florida
    Quote:that's not correct..

Chocolate as any melanin diluter is affected by the presence/absence of Melanizers.... that's a FACT..

what is not correct?

that it breeds true?

or

It fades. over generations.

10. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:your assumption that Chocolate has a set shade of Melanin..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by