Chocolate Orps have landed in the States!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Seriously, the chocolate is sex-linked?? Please, explain...

Males need two copies of the gene to appear Chocolate, females need one gene. Males that have one copy are black and are considered splits.

* Chocolate Male X Chocolate Female = 100% Chocolate

* Black Male X Chocolate Female = 50% Black Males carrying Chocolate, 50% Black Females

* Chocolate Male X Black Female = 50% Black Males carrying Chocolate, 50% Chocolate Females

* Black Male carrying Chocolate X Chocolate Female = 25% Chocolate Males, 25% Black Males carrying Chocolate, 25% Chocolate Females, 25% Black Females

* Black Male carrying Chocolate X Black Female = 25% Black Males carrying Chocolate, 25% Black Males, 25% Chocolate Females, 25% Black Females.

You can learn more about CHOC Orps here.

THANKS!!!!!

You would not have to breed to the American SOP, you could always enter your birds in the English class.
wink.png

I feel it would be a disservice to the breed and would completely make the entire importing process a whole lot of trouble for nothing if we breed these birds down to the American type.

I was also told by someone who breeds English Orps that these Chocolate birds are "bantams" in regards to the UK type and UK standard, when compared to American type LF Orpingtons they are already relatively the same size. So, it would not take much to standardize them to a "true LF" size, so if this is true, AI would be unnecessary.

Quote:
You mean, we are to try natural breeding between LF APA Orpington to a UK Bantam Orpintons to make some LF CHOC Orps?
From what I read about the UK Orp bantams, they are bigger then our APA Orp Bantams. Our APA Bantam Orps are 2 lbs and the UK Banty Orps runs closer to 3 lbs. Ofcourse these are UK EXHIBITION QUALITY Bantams at shows. Not UK Choc banty project birds.
I have been to 8 APA shows and never seen a 3 lbs Large Fowl Orp at a show. I routinely get beaten like a drum by Doug Akers Orpingtons and his pullets must run 9 plus lbs. And his cockerels are all closer to 11 lbs then 10 lbs yet alone 3 lbs. Just curious how that natural breeding would do? Unless you are content using HATCHERY QUALITY Large Fowl Orps? I wouldn't! IF not, I can see some squished Chocolate in the coop IF you plan on doing natural breeding. Ofcourse I only had chickens for 3 years and am new to breeding Orps. All I can think of is what happens IF I would take a Black Orp cock like the sire to my Milkey line, who weighs 14 lbs to a 3 lbs Choc UK Banty? Can you say "SQUISH"? lolololol

Mrs. Turbo :

I dont think your bird looks anything near the color of the large fowl choc orp picture you found online. Also it would be pretty crazy to get sex linked choc out of a Blue...maybe you would get Dunn...since most Dunn look like a bad colored Blue to me at the shows.

Adjust the color on your monitor you`ll see they are very much alike in color.
big_smile.png

Mine are not dun. 2 years ago my first hen was hatched, last summer I hatched her 2 chocolate daughters. This past December I hatched 8 chicks out of the 3 hens eggs.
All 11 times my offspring hatched dark brown, not black,dunn,splash.​

Last edited:
Quote:
big_smile.png

Mine are not dun. 2 years ago my first hen was hatched, last summer I hatched her 2 chocolate daughters. This past December I hatched 8 chicks out of the 3 hens eggs.
All 11 times my offspring hatched dark brown, not black,dunn,splash.

Dun is identical to choc. So how can you tell? Also, dun x dun doesn't make splash, it makes khaki.

You definitely have some version of dun or some other dilution gene. Blue and dun are cousin genes that act the same, but just dilute black differently. Just a theory: your blues may have diluted blacks in a funky way, as a result, creating dun.

Have you bred to black to see if this gene is sexlinked?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Bamachicken had one that was brownish in color at one time. I am not sure what the determination was tho.

Quote:
big_smile.png

All 11 times my offspring hatched dark brown, not black,dunn,splash.

So all 11 were female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom