Chocolate Serama Breeders - dun and blue can be included here as well

Hello! Does anyone have any ideas on what color my roo is? I thought maybe blue, but after hatching some chicks from him i am wondering if he is maybe dun instead?
[/URL]

There are a lot of combinations of genes in the Serama that can look dun or chocolate (2 different genes, same appearance) but there is no dun in Serama's. I've watched for years to see a single dun and none. There are a good number of chocolates though (recessive/sex linked chocolate). The photo's are so blurry and the lighting so poor I can't tell anything from them. Natural lighting and good, clear photo's might help but one thing to note that might help is if there is even a single feather on any of them, they are not chocolate. The black hen in the photo the mother? If so, then the sire has to be either chocolate or a chocolate carrier to produce chocolate chicks. Wait till they feather out later and that might help you to rule out chocolate or not. If not, then you may still need to breed them to verify chocolate. I had several chocolates but also many that were not. I bred mine to verify them before I caled them chocolate.

[/IMG]
. There are two hens that could be mother, a black mottled and the black hen. I was hoping for blue, so if it's possible they are just a muddy blue I'm ok with that, lol. I wasn't thinking chocolate because the brown/blue chicks are both sexes and not just pullets (wish they were all pullets, lol)

[/URL]. There are two hens that could be mother, a black mottled and the black hen. I was hoping for blue, so if it's possible they are just a muddy blue I'm ok with that, lol. I wasn't thinking chocolate because the brown/blue chicks are both sexes and not just pullets (wish they were all pullets, lol)
Looks blue to me :)

Great! Hopefully I can hatch a nice smooth blue pullet and see if I get splash chicks after that to mke sure. I would love to have blue wheaten and maybe mauve seramas someday, so hopefully I've got a start for those. Maybe this last little chick I've hatched is what I'm looking for. :)

Hello! I am concentrating on my chocolates and blues this year too. I'm happy that I found this thread. Hopefully I will get some pictures here soon so I can share some of my birds with you all. I would like to see a "mauve". What page can I find one on? Thanks!
smile.png

Great! Hopefully I can hatch a nice smooth blue pullet and see if I get splash chicks after that to mke sure. I would love to have blue wheaten and maybe mauve seramas someday, so hopefully I've got a start for those. Maybe this last little chick I've hatched is what I'm looking for.
smile.png

I've been trying to get some blue wheatens out of my flock too but I keep ending up with regulars and silvers. Go figure!
tongue.png
They're starting to take over my flock too and I accidentally ended up with a curly. He looks like a little turkey. Came from a frizzled mom and smooth blue dad. Guess he was just extra lucky! Two of his brothers from that hatch were smooth wheaten, one frizzled wheaten, one smooth female wheaten, and three frizzled silver females.

I have a deep, dark blue mottled cock that has been producing lighter blues, black mottled and other colors.

He doesn't have a lot of mottling so I hope to hatch more solid blacks, blues and chocolates from him since he has no red leakage

Here is one of the recent hatched blue chicks, another hatched soon after this one and it was much smaller. Hoping one of them is a cockerel, solid blue with no leakage of red or silver.

That roo looks really good. I love his colors. That little chick is beautiful. It was such a pain to try to get solid black and blue cocks without the leakage. I kept running into the silver blues, birchens, and brown reds. I recently just got lucky and so far I have three solid black cockerels and finally a solid blue cockerel without any leakage. I still keep waiting for some sort of leakage to appear but they are fully mature and I don't think they will get any leakage at this point. How is your chocolate project going? I'd love to see some of those solid chocolate males that you've been working on.

That roo looks really good. I love his colors. That little chick is beautiful. It was such a pain to try to get solid black and blue cocks without the leakage. I kept running into the silver blues, birchens, and brown reds. I recently just got lucky and so far I have three solid black cockerels and finally a solid blue cockerel without any leakage. I still keep waiting for some sort of leakage to appear but they are fully mature and I don't think they will get any leakage at this point. How is your chocolate project going? I'd love to see some of those solid chocolate males that you've been working on.
Thanks MountainSerama's.

I had bought 2 chocolate Serama cockerels, both frizzled, from a breeder in Texas last winter. They were both without red leakage and had minimal silver in the neck hackles and shoulders but as they matured, they died. It was the cardiac issues that is in this breed. The breeder had contacted me and told me they were dying on her too, just the males and just about breeding age. They would be fine then turn weak, the combs would turn purple and they just died. Nothing to do with being cold, mine and hers were both kept inside in the winter with heat. So, I just had finally gotten down to just the 2 chocolate cockerels and the blue mottled above for males and I have 4 nice chocolate hens and 8 black hens. I had lost the 2 older cocks that were around 5 yrs old late last summer to just old age I think and had hatched several chicks last summer, almost all pullets!

So I've been down to just the above cock and mostly keeping him with the black hens. The black and chocolate hens are not from solid to solid breeding so I still get some mixed colors but have hatched 3 blues that the chick down is more like a solid than mottled pattern. I have a breeder that is going to be saving a black cockerel for me this year. Neither of the chocolate cockerels produced a single chick, infertile. I hope breeders understand how truly difficult the solid colors are to perfect and to breed true. They are not cheap for a reason. At least the blue mottled cock I have now has no red leakage and no pattern to him. "If" all he has is solid color with mottling, mottling isn't too hard to breed out as long as you are careful and don't cross back with others that will carry only 1 gene for it. I need some small breeding pens so I can separate the hens but that isn't done yet

Back
Top Bottom