Chocolate Turkey Hatching Eggs

Poultry Friend

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 18, 2012
I am looking for some Chocolate Turkey hatching eggs.

I am not sure if anyone has any laying right now, but I figured there might be a chance since it has been so warm (at least around here).

I would love to get some from several lines to start my flock.

If you have some, please let me know how much with shipping they are and also what your hatching success rate has been with eggs that are shipped.

Thank you in advance!

I think that would be your best bet. I have people already reserving and I myself have already reserved some. Not sure were you live but most states have a swap site on facebook, just try entering your state and "poultry swap" or "farm swap" also there is usually a thread for each state and people sell and swap on there, it might get you closer to your goal.

I have not had much luck with swaps for this breed since they are so rare, and since I pretty much do not have anything to swap- LOL!

I am in Saint Louis Missouri. I am part of Chicken Swap of Missouri on FB, are you?

Several poultry breeders sell chocolate turkey eggs in the Spring and would be taking reservations. Ebay even has them as a presale. You might even find some on Craig's list when time gets closer. I ship hatching eggs, but do not raise chocolate turkeys and can tell you, on the farm I get 90% hatch rate, but shipped, I would consider 75% successful, with a good incubator!

I have not had much luck with swaps for this breed since they are so rare, and since I pretty much do not have anything to swap- LOL!

I am in Saint Louis Missouri. I am part of Chicken Swap of Missouri on FB, are you?
Yes I am apart of this one. I know a couple people who are trying to breed them and oneguy was not successful with this years hatch and kept the small amount that did hatch and the other person has people request the year before for poults. You dont have to have anything to swap, money works too lol. I see people buying more than swaping.

McMurray's Hatchery Has Chocolate Turkey Poults and can ship in April 2013. Porter's also has them, but not until June 2013

Thanks! I had noticed that a few places do sell poults, but not many (or any) sell eggs. I suspect this is due to their rarity, but since hatching eggs are such a risk, they tend to be less expensive and I really do not have the funds to pay $12 a poult with the min being 15-20. Added to that, almost all limit how many chocolate poults you can buy to less then the min order amount and since I do not want any other breeds, I would be paying for something I would not want/keep or have space for.

That is the other big concern. With 15-20 turkeys, I would be out of room before they would be half grown. I really only have space for 3-4 max. I was hoping that hatching eggs would be the solution to that.

Thank you for taking the time to find that out for me, though! I really do appreciate it, and if I could find a way to only order 3-4, I would do that in a heart beat!

Here is my advice after hatching eggs and buying poults. Buy the poults. In the end you will have saved money. Shipping is hard on the eggs and usually you can only buy 6 eggs at a time. WHen everyone wants eggs, they go for $4 each. THen add on shipping.

Have you looked at sand hill and porters? Porters has a sale at the end of the season, and drops the prices by a couple dollars each--I don't know if they do that every year but they did have a sale in June 2012.

You can certainly go the eggs route, if you need to. I've had to do that to get rare breeds.

Good luck. Chocolates sure are pretty even as poults.

Back
Top Bottom