Choices, Choices, Choices!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickenrandomness, Dec 23, 2009.

1. I've made many posts about me piking out chicken breeds. NOW ITS TIME TO GET DOWN TO BUISNESS!!!!! i need a small bantam, that ether Mypetchicken or nature's hachery has. i have a tiny backyard, and i want a quiet breed,because i want rooster. maybe 6 at the most. one that is an ok layer. PLEASE HELP!!!! [​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The smaller the rooster, the more shrill the pitch of its crow. Yes, the smaller ones are not as loud, but that is not the only factor to consider.

3. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    have you considered Bantam EE's? EE's are actually very quiet my LF roo has only crowed like three times in his life and he's almost a year old idk about bantams tho but we will find out b/c im going to pick one up from FrontPorchIndiana!

4. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    my modern roosters barely EVER crow, its so strange. I think Moderns would be good for you.
    [​IMG]

5. i forgot to add, it gets kind of cold in the winter like now, about -10. wold moderns be ok? could i get a pic of someone holding one, so i kow how big they are? could a pair fit in the Chick-N-coop from critter cages? [​IMG]

6. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Dubbed moderns are cold hardy

Undubbed ones are not

7. karabbitry

karabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    I have tried twice to add modern to my showstring and both times I have found them to not handle the cold real well. They have such small bodies and tight feathers that it is hard to generate enough body heat. We only get down to about 10 degrees.

8. How about OEGs? are they queit? if not, Dutch? i love dutch! [​IMG]

9. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    i chanticalr ( sorry about spelling) not shure if ideal has thos in bantams salmon farolles, wyndottes, rosecombs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by