Choking Chicken

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
We just lost a hen to choking. We were catching then to trim nails and must have turned her the wrong way and caused food or water to go into a lung or her air way.

We tried to get her to cough it up, and my mom went as far as to swing her like a new lamb to try and get it out. It took maybe a minute but it felt like less.

I hope it never happens again, but if it does, what can we do differently to save another hen?

Instead of trying to trim their nails try sprinkling sunflower seeds or other treats on the grounds to encourage scratching. This is the first time I've ever heard of a chicken's nails getting too long how big is your run?

So sorry for your loss. It may be necessary to trim certain chicken’s nails when they are not wearing them down. Take care not to press on the crop area when holding them, so not to squeeze it when it is full of food and water. It might be safer in the mornings, when the crop is less full. Also do not bend them forward or down. This sounds like a freak accident, and hopefully never happens again.

1586522943031.jpeg

Our run is about 10sq feet for our bantams. It has a wire floor where there isn't wood. We've never had chickens that successfully kept their nails down on their own in any type of housing though.

Back
Top Bottom