Chookie has a limp

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by antz, Jan 25, 2015.

1. antz

antz New Egg

Jan 25, 2015
    Since about two weeks before Christmas, she has been limping. Last Monday a week ago, she spent all day on her perch and when I fed her, she was clearly finding it difficult to walk. So I took her to a vet who could not feel anything that indicates the problem. They wanted to do a $280 X Ray, and suggested that if the X Ray did not show anything conclusive, they would have to assume it was a nerve problem. Well I chose to not do the X Ray and instead asked for some pain killers. Over the last week, she has been clearly walking better, and even able to run a bit when needed. Her limp is not so bad. But, the medication cost about $40 for one week. If that is the only solution, she is going to suffer a pragmatic decision, and I would prefer to not need to make that decision.

So, if anyone is able to help me discover a more reasonable solution, I would be very grateful, and you would be doing something nice for Chookie.

The prescription was Tolfedine 20mg once per day.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tolfedine aparently is a non-steroidal antinflammatory drug similar to meloxicam. I would put her on some aspirin after you run out of the tolfedine. A low dose baby aspirin twice a day may help. Keep her confined for at least a week, and each week evaluate her ability to walk. Many sprains or breaks will take a couple of weeks to heal. Giving her some B Complex vitamins in her water or feed may also help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by