1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chookie has a limp

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by antz, Jan 25, 2015.

1. antz

antz Hatching

Jan 25, 2015
    Since about two weeks before Christmas, she has been limping. Last Monday a week ago, she spent all day on her perch and when I fed her, she was clearly finding it difficult to walk. So I took her to a vet who could not feel anything that indicates the problem. They wanted to do a $280 X Ray, and suggested that if the X Ray did not show anything conclusive, they would have to assume it was a nerve problem. Well I chose to not do the X Ray and instead asked for some pain killers. Over the last week, she has been clearly walking better, and even able to run a bit when needed. Her limp is not so bad. But, the medication cost about $40 for one week. If that is the only solution, she is going to suffer a pragmatic decision, and I would prefer to not need to make that decision.

So, if anyone is able to help me discover a more reasonable solution, I would be very grateful, and you would be doing something nice for Chookie.

The prescription was Tolfedine 20mg once per day.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tolfedine aparently is a non-steroidal antinflammatory drug similar to meloxicam. I would put her on some aspirin after you run out of the tolfedine. A low dose baby aspirin twice a day may help. Keep her confined for at least a week, and each week evaluate her ability to walk. Many sprains or breaks will take a couple of weeks to heal. Giving her some B Complex vitamins in her water or feed may also help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: